Lost all hearing in one ear, is it worth upgrading speakers?

I was in the process of upgrading my speakers( Goldenear Triton 1s driven by McIntosh amp and pre) when I lost complete hearing in one ear. Will not come back and can not be helped by hearing aide or cochlear implant etc. I was about to upgrade to possible Vandersteen 5a or carbon when it happened. Obviously I cannot enjoy the music as before but would I appreciate the difference in speakers if I upgraded? Soundstage, presence, sweet spot ,stereo are all gone or compromised. Has anyone else experienced this and how have you accommodated?Not seeking sympathy just options!
128x128tooth

Showing 2 responses by cd318

You have my sympathies. This kind of thing is bad enough for the average person but for an audiophile it can be worse.

As we age it seems like a never ending period of constant adjustments. Can’t play football anymore, stiffness in the mornings, can’t recover from sex as quick, bladder won’t hold for as long as it - constant adjustments. We all have to face them eventually.

I think as dave_b said earlier I would try to combine some form of visual feedback with my listening. Music seems to sound better with visuals - I know it doesn’t really - but it just feels like it. Helps to focus attention and wake up memory too. Even Google images of the musicians might help whilst listening.

Good luck.

@mysteriousmrm, thanks for sharing.

Jan 2018 I began to feel dizzy and sick in the pit of my stomach at the same time. Pretty scary after 30 seconds or so when it still hasn't stopped. I was more or less bed ridden for a week and very reluctantly went to see the doctor - I think audiophiles tend to be self sufficient - who told me it was Menieres disease. He gave me some tablets and told me nothing else could be done. 

In desperation I used an old infra red lamp to see if improved circulation might help fight the infection. A few days later the bouts of vertigo began to recede and eventually stopped altogether. 

For anyone who hasn't had it, I can say that it was one of the worst physical experiences I've ever suffered. Threatens to take everything away.

Sometimes I wonder whether these things are trying to tell us something about how wonderful life really is.
Every minute of it.