Looking to upgrade my preamp, suggestions?

Decided it is time to try out a newer preamp, have upgraded everything else over last couple of months bar this so...
Present pre is an ARC LS2 with gold lion tube and herbies tube damper.
Rest is Esoteric sa-50, bat vk600se and b&w 804d.
Listen exclusively to rock music, old and new
Important to myself, solid bass, vocals and soundstage, a remote might be nice too...lol
Thinking along the lines so far of bat vk32se, a newer ARC like ls17 or 27. Yes all tubes
Suggestions along solid state lines please?
budget is about 3500 max
Prefer to hear from actual owners of preamps suggested for your actual experiences
thank you all in advance 
128x128uberwaltz
I've been very impressed with the Ayre K-5xeMP preamp I bought used.  As I understand it, Charles Hanson aims for a bit of tube-like sound without tube maintenance issues.  I have a lead on an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp to go with it that I hope is realized next month.

db
I hi just bought a McIntosh C48 and will post my impressions when I receive it.  Will need to sell my Parasound P5 now..:-(
An Atma-Sphere MP-3 used,may be a bit more than your budget, but it does have remote option and you can run both balanced and RCA.
Ain't nothing like Zero feedback.
The Ayre would be a close match.
Bob
I tried many pre-amps under 10k. I ended up with the Gamut D3i stunning musical and transparent. I tried Luxman C700u, VAC R MKII, Hegel P30, PS audio BHK, McIntosh three of them and many others.
Best of luck.