Looking to upgrade from a Clearaudio Ambient (garrard 301 vs technics sp10?)

Hello!

I have been using audiogon for guidance since I started the hobby 5 years ago and you haven't steered  me wrong yet. 

I have the upgrade itch and need your help though. 

I currently have a clearaudio ambient with a morch dp6 + ART-9 ---> doshi alaap ---> Audiog horizons pre ---> plinius SA-100 ---> Kef reference 1's. 

I do love the set-up but feel the table might be a little too clinical sounding. Any suggestions on upgrades in the 5-6K range?. Used is good for me!

Thanks in advance!
emalka
I would never discourage anyone from upgrading equipment but if your current sound is a bit clinical as you say, it might not have as much to do with the turntable as it might be related to your choice of cartridge, phono preamp or amplifier.  For me, tube amps have always sounded best.  I prefer a cartridge that is very revealing and detailed and speakers that allow me to hear that detail.  Most solid state amps I have tried have not pleased me the way that tubes have.  
If you do choose to upgrade your TT you might also want to consider a cartridge that is warmer in sound.  Also consider speaker cables that offer a smoother presentation.  I use solid core silver wires that can sound bright in some combinations.  I prefer bright but some might say the sound is fatiguing.  Just depends on your preference.  
You should try an EMT or Benz Micro cartridge. That might be the change you are looking for in terms of a less clinical sound.
I would ask if you have a digital source and if you have the same issue with the sound quality with that source? I am guessing not but thought I would ask.

If you are certain the issue is with the TT or cartridge I would also suggest any of the Benz Wood Body cartridges. They work very well on the Morch arms. I used a Benz Ruby on a DP6 for years. You have a great table but if you want to upgrade the table I would look at the Clearaudio Ovation. To me, it's the sweet spot TT in the Clearaudio line and does not sound clinical at all. But I would look at the cartridge first.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the quick reply, guys!

I have an opportunity to buy a Bauer Audio DPS turntable with a Schroeder arm for ~ 5000K. 

What do you guys think?

I think 5 million dollars is a bit too much, but the Bauer appears to be a plain looking yet original design.  If you are getting the Ayre power supply with the Bauer, then this sounds like a good deal at $5K.  This is coming from a direct-drive aficionado.  Seems like an Avid Acutus would be similar in concept and cost, for a comparison.
I haven't heard the DPS table and have only heard the Ambient with a Clearaudio tone arm so I can't tell you if the Bauer will get you what you want. I know that Ayre used to sell that TT so I assume it must be a good one. If you have a chance to hear it before you buy it I would do that. Again good luck.
Of course, it's more fun to major on the minors.

Looks like you have been at this for some time.
 I looked at your old gear and saw you were running a Tube pre amp
 into a 10 K load and then were ???? blaming the amp.
You have spent a fair amount on your system changing time and again.
Does it seem like a good question to ask even when you think your table / Cart is dialed in what will I have?
If you really ask yourself will I be long term happy?
Am I in a designers fashion speaker contest or simply trying to play music? Could it be just a small change I am seeking? or do I want something much
bigger and long term?
If I were you the loudspeakers is where I would go.
A listen to Vandersteen Treo CT take up the same space and will have a far more cohesive and satisfying music delivery.
 Best,
  JohnnyR
Yes I know I am a Vandersteen dealer
 but promise you its the truth!