Looking to completely overhaul my preamp section, knowledgeable people needed!

Hi everyone, first time poster here and all that...

I'm looking to do a complete overhaul of my preamp section. I'm currently running a Schiit Modi Uber II as a DAC, a Schiit Mani as a phono stage, and a Schiit Sys as a glorified volume control. This is outputting to an Adcom GFA555 power amp (this will eventually be upgraded to an Odyssey Stratos), then to a pair of LSA 2.1 Signature speakers.

At the moment I am considering a Parasound Halo P5 as an all in one solution or a new Schiit stack (Freya, Gungir) if I stuck with separates, and possibly some of Pro-Ject's lineup (Prebox RS digital). I would like something that is solidly engineered and measures well, but I don't place *perfect* measurements above all else.

To the extent that these components effect sound, I really enjoy a wide soundstage and precise imaging. Low background noise is very important as well. In terms of usability, I definitely would like a remote, solid volume control, and fully balanced inputs and outputs. 

Finally, my budget is $2000 but would prefer to spend less. I would also consider used options. Thanks!!

primarist
Ha! I just had a gentleman in another thread go on about how awesome the adcom 555 sounds and I shouldn’t believe what I read. I haven’t heard much good about them as serious high end amps.

OP - I have a tube pre as well and love it. If I were in your position, I'd be all over the schiit Freya. But that's just me. Good luck!
I used to own an Adcom 545 II amp.  While it was a great introduction to separates, when compared to other amps the Adcom was just smearing the sound. 
Ugh decisions decisions... See this is exactly why I needed help! lol

I'm starting to like the idea of the Schiit Freya, however, AVlee turned me to the idea of a Emotiva XSP-1. On reading some reviews, it seems that the Emotiva sounds excellent and offers quite a bit of bang for the buck. I know they're totally different beasts, but I wonder how each would sound in my system. Lots of people like to hate on Emotiva, but it seems like they put solid engineering principles into their products. Given the choice between a Freya+Gungnir MB and an XSP-1+Gungnir MB, what would everyone pick? Does anyone know if the Freya is truly balanced or if a bal->SE conversion happens?

Also, the Adcom has treated me very well but unfortunately its next on the chopping block. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out though, as I once was. Super clean sound with a strong low end, maybe a bit of grain on the top end though.
Like I said, I have the XMC-1, and it’s a solid piece of kit. Its negative qualities are non-audio in nature (40 second boot up time unless in fast boot mode, but then you are burning 30W all day) so if you go with the XSP, ask a dealer first if you can demo it and see if you find any wrinkles.  The logo looks like it was designed by a 12 year old, but the tech is solid.  I’m cool with them putting the money in the stuff that matters. 

I have looked and worked extensively with Emotiva products. Yes, they are an excellent value for the price point. They do have very good design on their topology and layout. The downside is they use lower cost components to provide that "price point". The amps are good with fuse replacements. The preamp/DAC devices will typically sound closed in. The XSP-1 does have one fully balanced and fully discrete gain stage. However, the input and output stages are littered with op amps. Emotiva likes to use the opa2134, which is a very muddy sounding op amp, in my opinion. If you are limited on your budget and need all the features that the XSP provides (i.e. phono preamp, crossover bass management, XLR, processor loop), it may be a good deal for you. However, there are better choices in equipment out there. If I had to get the XSP, I would look for a "Gen 1" model and then mod the heck out of the power supply and op amps.

The Shitt Freya is likely to be more transparent in sound and resolution if you use the JFET mode, but it purely a line stage without any additional features. Also, tube sonic signature is a whole different ballgame.