Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie

Showing 1 response by 213runnin

It seems to me that the OP wants to get a good system without having to go through the somewhat lengthy process of educating oneself in audio.  And I can sympathize with the reluctance.  After all, look at the diverging opinions in this thread alone.  Perhaps the OP is pretty busy too, it surely happens.  

I'll add my disagreement and say that I think that 5k is a serious chunk of change to spend on a first system.  Also, the room is cozy and not huge, which dictates things somewhat.

One other item is that the OP will have preferences in regards to sound that he apparently does not know about yet.  So, step one should be the speakers, and with music one is familiar with.  Audition the Vandersteens mentioned in post one.  Compare them with others to get an idea of what sounds best.  

I'm not convinced that the Vandersteens would be the best speaker for the types of music the OP prefers.