Looking to build a room, but

So our approximately 2200 square foot basement is unfinished and I would like to build an audio room. My primary goal would be 2 channel audio oriented for the best possible sound, but I am sure I would want to watch movies with the kids as well, etc.

I know of Rives, etc. and figured I would contact them, but what I have noticed is that there are an aweful lot of support beams in the basement (from floor to ceiling). More than I have noticed in other houses we have lived in (maybe I am just paying attention now). Anyway, I am fearful that I would not have to make a very small room to exclude having these support beams in it or, alternatively, a larger room with the support beams in it. Has anyone encountered this and if so did it make a big difference in what "could have been possible" if the supports weren't there.
bigsam2

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Don't over look the silencing of the furnace if you have forced air and the unit is in the basement. Most likely you will need to put it on a vibration proof platform/springs and silence all the walls and duct work that will be in the new room. The 'noise floor' will be the biggest challenge. Many years ago I did a media room in the basement and it took a year to tweak it to 'silence'. Tip: make the down stairs entrance to the room an exterior heavy duty door. They have generally have great seals, especially if you install the floor plates that come with the door. Also consider a raised floor if you have any dampness or water issues. If so, make sure you have flood insurance.