Looking for vintage system suggestions (maranta, klipsch, etc...)

Hi!

I am new here, and am looking to purchase my first ever home stereo! I am VERY new to this world, so please forgive my ignorance about everything!

I do know that I want a vintage stereo, whose primary purpose is to play vinyl. I love the aesthetics, sound, and mojo of a vintage system.....and stylistically it works with my house. I am just about settled on finding a vintage Marantz 2270 or 2275. I see there are many on eBay, etc. Can anybody recommend an upgraded/restored unit for me to look at?

Speakers. I am looking at floorstanding speakers. I love the LOOK of vintage speakers, and am considering something vintage from Klipsch. Primarily looking at Heresy or Forte. Would these work well with a 2270 or 2275? Are there other, better choices that also have that mid century modern look? Or am I better of spending the big bucks for something new with vintage aesthetics (new Klipsch, etc.)

Turn Tables. I’d like vintage, but want to start with something simple. Plus, I think i will have spent the majority of my budget on the receiver and speakers. Looking at U Turn Audio tables....may upgrade in the future. Any thoughts? Better choices? Is vintage better?

I will most be listening to folk, jazz, classic rock, etc....nothing too heavy!

My budget is about $2500....a tiny bit of flexibilty, but want to keep it in that range...

Thanks in advance!
rawchuck

I have restored vintage Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer and other equipment for quite some time.  I'm in my office right now listening to music (and working if my boss is on line) though a vintage Sansui QRX 5500 receiver and some B&W speakers via my computer's iTunes or a Pioneer Elite PD65 CD Player.

I love the sound.  The restored Sansui sound great. 

I repaired to receiver. It wasn't working at all.  Then cleaned all the pots and switches extensively. They get very noisy so cleaning is mandatory.  no blown caps, etc.  I looked.  Cap replacement is only necessary if there was extensive use and heat and if they show signs of wear.  Don't fix something that isn't broken.

The Marantz 2252B receiver I restored sounds great also.  I think the Sansui sounds better slightly. 

Not only does this type of vintage equipment sound great, but the ones with wood grain surround panels look absolutely great.  I remove the old wood grain surround and completely sand it and re-stain it and they look great.

Same with the Pioneer Elite equipment with the wood sides. They look and sound great.

A pair of working Klipsch speakers (KG-4 or Forte II) and you are good to go.  Just make sure the foam surround is in good shape.

Pioneer Elite PD65, DV09, DV79AVi used as CD players or transports and you can't beat them for anything under $2000 now.  And you can buy these for a few hundred dollars each. 

enjoy

I am in the process of assembling a vintage second system, based largely on components I’ve owned for decades, but had not restored. It is in some ways a serious system, and in other ways, has limitations, but it is truly period and has resale value. However it is not the receiver/bookshelf speaker approach (there is a store here in Austin, where I recently moved, that has a whole floor of receivers and bookshelf speakers, brought to spec, at relatively reasonable cost).
My small vintage system (with the caveat that this will be more money than a receiver/box speaker set up) is:
original Technics SP-10 that I bought new in 1973. This is not the more desirable mk ii or mk iii but I already owned it. It was restored by Bill Thalman, who arranged to have a custom plinth built. I will probably stick an older 12 SME arm on it, with perhaps an Ortofon SPU.
McIntosh MX 110z-- the only piece I bought recently for this system- cost from dealer- about $1500. Restoration--still awaiting final number, but the big cost here is Telefunken NOS 12AX 7 tubes, which you don’t have to use.

Quad II power amps- these have been around longer than dirt, are plentiful in the UK and pretty reasonable to restore- they are simple amps- but very low power. The real cost here is true GEC KT-66s, which are spendy.
Original Quad Loudspeaker (aka ’the 57’). The gold standard for midrange- transparent, almost spooky on some material. Not for your Iron Maiden records, though. Strings, jazz, female vocal, folk, that kind of small scale stuff just sings. Cost- not terribly expensive, must be restored, you see them used here on the ’Gon already restored. There are a couple of restorers who are noteworthy. I used Kent McCollum, who does a sympathetic restoration. I’ve owned mine since 1973, but stopped using them regularly in 1990.
This may be more than you want or too limited, but I get vinyl playback, a very good tuner, and what I consider to be the best midrange in the business, though the speakers were first brought to market 60 years ago.
They look like vintage radiators from England.
I now listen to horns through my main system and recommend tubes- you can, with an efficient horn, use an SET amp, which is to me, the raison d’être of having horns.
If I spent too much of your money, I’m sorry.
I had one of those Marantz receivers in 1970 with a pair of Advents before I dove deep. It was a good sounding system (at that time, based on what I knew and could afford as a high school student). I don’t know how well they would work with smaller Klipsch.
A good semi- vintage not terribly expensive table is the Well Tempered- had one for years when they weren’t vintage. Don’t know if the old ones are supported though.Quirky, but delivers. To me, a modded Oracle would win the glamor award.
I should probably delete this post, since your budget is $2500. But know, there's a lot to be had in vintage land and I'd still push for a decent old tube amp and horns if you could bring that in under budget. 
regards
bill hart
I've had many vintage Marantz receivers and integrateds come through my home. You are wise to zero in on the 2275 or 2270. They're great receivers. I would also throw in the 2245 which is a 2275 with a little less power (basically the same innards, but a whole lot less expensive).

But, understand all but the most thorough of restorations will produce issues for you at some point. It's like buying an antique car, you have to be able to put up with these units going in for repair when problems arise.
Since receivers are trying to do all things, they are more complex (tuner, pre, and amp) and more prone to failure. I would seriously consider starting with a Marantz 7T pre-amp which features point-to-point wiring and is a lot easier to repair if needed, then add the amp of your choice (Dynaco ST-70 comes to mind). You should find some reputable vintage Marantz vendors in the way of Black Swamp Audio, or even some of the members on the the other audio site (AK).

The 7T and ST-70 pair would likely be found for about $1500 which is what I'd expect a fully restored 2275 to cost.

+1 yakbob, good stuff and far more sensible approach than mine. Well done.

I think those are fair warnings on vintage, they are hard to maintain.  That said I have several older pieces including  old speakers.  I still have my Dad's 1959 and 1960 JBLs (mono at start) with another pair of 1964s.  My own 1976 Klipsch Heresy and 1981 LaScalas.  These seem to function well despite their age.

If you want warmth you'll need to get something to counterbalance Klipsch inherent top end /treble energy, emphasis.careful before getting  Klipsch .  One well known combination is the older McIntosh with Klipsch.  Your Budget could get you SS old Macs MC2105 forinstance and the Heresy and up.  I don't like current regular Klipsch. Haven't heard the new vintage type Klipsh gear