Looking for suggestions...

...on an integrated amp, at least 50 watts per channel, prefer 2 sets of speaker outs, st output for powered sub, phono input, and one balanced in would be a real plus. This will be used in an evolving system, mainly to audition mixes I've done in my home recording studio, and do light mastering - so "neutrality" is preferred over "musicality". Iow, I need to hear what's been recorded, with as little flattery as possible. Also will be used for general hifi enjoyment though...

Caveat here is that I'm on a low budget - can spend just up to $1200 on the int amp, so likely looking at 2nd hand. So far I've liked the Exposure 2010 in this price range, but it lacked a few of the features I'd really like. Offers, suggestions, recommendations much appreciated.
fretman

Showing 2 responses by br3098

I recently picked up a new (dealer demo) Atoll IN-100 integrated amp for well under $1K (OK, under $800). I did not purchase the optional phono stage, but it is available for $300 or so and it sounded very good when I demo'd it.

Great amp - build quality is second to none and it sounds wonderful. Better, in fact than some of my more expensive seperates. I use it in my small sound room when it is too hot to fire up the tubes.

Not too many dealers carry them but they do show up occasionally on A'gon or (shudder) craigslist.
Fretman,

Atoll does have phono stages for all of their pre/int amps:

http://www.musicalsounds.us/cp/downloads/Atoll_Phonostages.pdf

I like the fact that you can have them or not - your choice. Re: your other comments - yes, more speakers would be nice but is it really necessary? And as I am not a fan of balanced connections for short runs, I can't comment. But, given a choice, I will take better sound/build quality over minor* features any day.

*minor to me, that is. YMMV