Looking for preamp to go with my NAD 2400

Hello,

I'm looking for preamp to go with my NAD 2400 and Mission 782 speakers, biwired, through a NAD 7140 reciever as the preamp (Sounds great) just looking for opinions. I Listen to a lot of vocals and guitars. I was thinking of building a Bottlehead forplay or Mappletree preamp for that tube sound. Any recomendations
Thanks
Bob
fin1bxnaa6c

Showing 1 response by trelja

Bob, what are the sources you are running in your system?

If you are not spinning vinyl, and have only one or two sources (CDP, tuner, etc.), you should try the NAD sans preamp. Simply use the level controls to adjust volume. I ran my NAD 2600A for over a decade this way. Despite the admonitions that "you NEED a preamp", each of the preamps I tried (NAD, ARC, AudioSource graphic equalizer, and some other non descript pre) only messed up the sound by introducing noise and distortion, while dulling the dynamics and taking oomph away from things.

And, after trying some highly regarded preamps in the past few years (Blue Circle, Joule, Granite, Musical Fidelity), I have reverted to once again running CD direct in my current system (Atma Sphere and Granite monos). Why? It just sounds so much better to me.