Looking for opinions on Tannoy Prestige line.

I have been looking around at the Tannoy Prestige line. I was curious about how these compare to more modern designs. I am a little burnt out on "hi-fi" and I am having an "enjoy the music" moment. I demoed a few pairs of Tannoys when I first got into audio and I remember liking them pretty well but it has been awhile scene I have heard them. I would be looking at the Kensington SE (and down) or either of the Glenair models. I do not have room or budget for anything bigger. I would be looking on the used market and have no dealer in my area. I am currently using Thiel CS2.4s.

Do they have much horn coloration? Does the bass have punch (I like hard rock and typical audiophile stuff too). How detailed are they compared to more modern designs?
james63

Showing 2 responses by joc3021

Disclosure: I retail Tannoy Prestige, Departure Audio.
You put it best in your original post - "I'm a little burnt out on hifi." Tannoy's are a final stop. IMO, It's not really relevant to compare them with other speakers. Other speakers will measure better, spec better, image better, etc. but that's not what Tannoy's are about. That big, fat, juicy, whole, gripping, emotional presentation of the music either gets you or it does'nt. The cliche that it's about the music and not the sound is really true in this instance. The magic is due,I think, to Tannoy's 80 plus years of refining the fundamentally correct dual concentric technology. There's something magic about a dual concentric done right that can't be replicated by other approaches.
My bias is that if you can fit a 15 incher, do it. Also try to spring for a model with the alnico and pepperpot. I demo the Canterbury SE's.
Good points from Dsholl1. On amplification, don't write off high quality solid state amps with these speakers. I use Herron and Blue Circle amps and the results are wonderful. I also find, despite their sensitivity ratings, Prestige speakers respond well to high power/current. Dynamics become even more effortless and bass even more subterranean. Tubes can work well, but a minimum of 40-50 watts in a moderate sized room. More is better. Low power and SE tube amps sound gutless with these speakers in my experience.