Looking for my first DAC

I have mostly equipment from the eighties with the exception of an OPPO BDP-93.  My Preamp is an ARC SP9-MKII and it's feeding some Acoustat model X's.  I'm leaning toward a Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5, with their 15 day trial period, so I can at listen to it and return if I don't like it.  I have no way of listening to anything without a long drive and most probably a hotel stay, so I'm looking for your vast experience on the DAC's. Price range under $1000. 

Thoughts??

JD
128x128curiousjim
Do you require multiple inputs and/or volume control? Will the DAC be used for Redbook only or MQA/HiRes playback?
david_ten,

I have read many of the forum posts but there are very few about "starter DAC's"   In the past I have been able to listen to things and let my ears make the choice.  Today, that's very hard to do. In the last year I have only been to one store where I listened to some VERY high end products.  I drooled all over everthing!  When the sales guy asked me if I wanted to listen to a $67.000 DAC, It was time for me to go and pick up my wife, so I sadly said no.
Anyway, I like my system, but it's a be a bit flat.  So I'm looking for something to brighten it up.  

Thank you.

JD

serancien,

I never gave a thought to a volume control.  Why would I need one? And I am only CD's at present and don't have any immediate plans to stream.

Thanks.

JD

Post removed 
Curiousjim,

I use a Schiit Bifrost Multibit with one of my office systems. I have been very happy with it. It sounds great, especially for the price. If you are concerned about MQA, DSD or other formats of questionable value and low adoption, then this DAC is not for you. If you just want a really good sounding DAC for a reasonable price, you would be hard presssed to find better.

If you happen to find yourself well funded, take a look at the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I use one in my main system. It runs about $2k. It slices, it dices, it chops and handles every format known to man. Assuming that is out of your range though, the Schiit Bifrost will give you years of service.