Looking for my first DAC

I have mostly equipment from the eighties with the exception of an OPPO BDP-93.  My Preamp is an ARC SP9-MKII and it's feeding some Acoustat model X's.  I'm leaning toward a Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5, with their 15 day trial period, so I can at listen to it and return if I don't like it.  I have no way of listening to anything without a long drive and most probably a hotel stay, so I'm looking for your vast experience on the DAC's. Price range under $1000. 

Thoughts??

JD
128x128curiousjim

I just listed my Chinese DAC on eBay. $375 It's very robust and built with high quality components. It sounds very good and has upgraded high end audio op-amps, separate toroidal transformers based on the ESS9038PRO 32 bit chip. Very configurable up-sampling. I'm going for a more expensive tube r2r type DAC. Check it out under: Audiophile DAC SABRE ESS9038PRO - By Breeze Audio

You can contact via AG under my handle bob7296 if you're interested. I will probably be listing on AG soon.

JD - what source will you be using for your DAC and what type of input (optical, coax, USB?) and would you like multiple inputs of one or multiple?
millercarbon,

Please tell me more about modding.  Who, what, where and of course, how much. 

Thanks.

JD
sfar,

Great idea. I have a subscription and will have to find the review.

My bad for not doing my homework.

Thanks!

JD
leemaze,

The OPPO 93 has Toslink and RCA digital outputs, and it’s currently my only digital source, so for now I only need one input.  

JD