looking for ideas on must have classical music

Hello classical devotees!

A friend had me rip quite a few of his CDs for his trip abroad. most were classical, and many were like 'best of' compilations. one or two were whole symphonies.

armed with these at least and no others I felt it time to wade into the classical waters and increase that genre in my library.

what then, are your fav, 3 or 4, go to, gotta have composers, movements, and or conductors out there on CD at least?

if also available in HD or otherwise, please point towards them as well, if you don't mind.

your input is sincerely appreciated and this input will initiate my list for current and future additions to the catalog, so again, thanks very much!!
blindjim
@blindjim ,
I would concentrate on listening to the composers you have already listened to and listen to more of their works.
Thinking back to my classical introduction, it was on WQXR and WNCN,but they are now either gone or shadows of their former selves.
Unfortunately, streaming services are geared for popular music and tend to have terrible playlists for classical.

Tablejockey has it right-go with the basics.
I would start with Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart. They encompass a wide time frame and you can see which style floats your boat.
Bob
Many good suggestions. I would start with a cross-section of great composers and genres until you figure out what you like. From the above list (mostly). . . 

Concerto for solo instrument and orchestra

Tchaikovsky’s violin concerto in D.

Mozart's Piano Concertos, from #18 on up, esp. nos. 21-26, 

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2.

Large scale works for orchestra

Beethoven's 9th Symphony

Mussorgsky Pictures At An Exhibition

Smaller scale works for orchestra or for ensemble

Vivaldi The Four Seasons

Brahms Clarinet Quintet

Solo instrument

Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin