Looking for great tube integrated for Martin Logan Summit X speakers

I've had upgrade fever every since I added bass traps and acoustic panels to my listening room and wondered why I didn't do that years ago.  So I've decided to change my Plinius Hautonga integrated and make the plunge to tubes. I want that sound, and the thought of tube rolling appeals to me.  I was leaning toward the Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated, but after doing more reading, I'm concerned that it won't have adequate power due to the Summit's impedance needs.  I'm admittedly a novice with tubes, so seeking help from the forum.   My room is about 12x15, with the area behind my listening position open for an additional eight feet.  I don't listen at high volumes at all, and my favorite music is female jazz, smooth jazz, Nora Jones type vocals.  Music comes from SACDs and Tidal exclusively - I have no analogue gear.

The rest of my gear:
  • Gustard x20u DAC modified by Rick Schultz
  • Oppo 103D for SACDs modified by Rick Schultz
  • Bryston BDP-1 music streamer
Will I be happy with the Primaluna, or do you have other suggestions in the $5,000 range?  Or should I stay away from tubes for these speakers?

Appreciate your opinions!

Steve
smills59
I have been hanging in the backround reading at the possibilities of ttube integrated over the other SS choice.

Here is my take......
Having used a Chinese tube integrated for many years, I went to NuPrime STA-9 Class D amp with my Martin Logans. The sound was so much more dynamic and vocals were just clear in a way that it felt like a veil came off. That was then, and below is now.
Martin Logan Montis Speakers

I'm using a tube Schiit Freya preamp that has been perfect for allowing for the tube sound, and also the ability to bypass the tubes for passive, or JFET sound. What a preamp, and at $699, a steal. It houses (4) 6SN7 tubes, and they are considered great tubes for sound and tube rolling.

Amplfier that is hands down the best at low cost.
Vintage Krell.

Krell with their Class A sound and power doubling for each change in ohms, just put every other amp to shame. I now have a Krell KSA-200s, and 2 other Krell amps that have been serviced. A serviced vintage Krell will get all new capacitors and another 20 years of life. The sound will equal amps costing $20k or more.
High Performance Stereo https://www.highperformancestereo.com/power-amplifiers/solid-state/krellkst100.html has this Krell KST-100 for $1,560. I have this Krell and it would be plenty to drive your Summit at 200 watts/ch @4ohms. The Class A is what seals the deal. Krell is known as having the best dynamics and low end.

Speaking of low end. I find that the SummitX or the Montis does better with 2 REL S Series subs. Enhances the whole speaker in a way that you think you got new speakers. Expensive yes, but can be found used for a good price. REL is something you should read up on. Trying to tell you in a sentence is not fair to the experience you will get out of them. Been involved in audio for close to 50 years. I'm still picking my jaw off the ground after going from one REL S3 to 2 REL S3s, now in true stereo.

All they shared was that the amplifier needs to have enough amps and current to drive the speakers. Not much help there, unfortunately.

Yes that says a lot, and what I've been trying to tell you.
Tube amps cannot do current like solid state amps can, especially the ones being bandied around in this thread.
Amp that do current well, are ones that can almost double their full output wattages from 8ohm to 4ohm and again from 4ohm to 2ohm 

EG: the hypothetical perfect amp that does current well, (there are always losses though)
100w at 8ohms
200w at 4ohms
400w at 2ohms 

Cheers George
Well, final decision time.  I very much appreciate all the advice and comments in this thread!  Definitely shows the passion we all have for this great hobby and the diversity of thought and really, hearing each of us has.  There are so many options and variabilities to choose from, but in the end, as many of you have stated, it comes down to our individual hearing preferences, goals, and budget.  

Today I returned the Sanders amp.  What a great company!  They paid to ship the amp to me and allowed me 30 days to trial it.  When I told them I was going to return it, they sent me a return notice from UPS - they paid the return shipping costs too!  As soon as it arrives, they said they will refund my entire purchase cost.  Who does that today?  Great people!

Tomorrow I will send my Plinius to Upscale Audio and I will keep the Primaluna.  Why?  I really love the sound, and I like the idea of tweaking the sound with new tubes.  I also spoke with a person who works on tube amplifiers who told me he did not believe I would have any problems with the PL and my Summit X speakers because of the size of the output transformers, which made me feel even better about my decision.  This amp is a BIG STEP UP from the Plinius.

Is this the last amplifier I will own?  No, it is not.  At some point I do want to have a separate preamp and amplifier.  When I do,  I will consider all the options the participants in this thread have provided, and maybe even a tube preamp with SS amplifier.  The PL integrated gives me a chance to try out tubes without breaking my budget by buying separates.  And if my hearing becomes more critical and I do hear signs of the amp clipping, I can always sell it and start the upgrade process then.  This decision has the added benefit of not having to convince my wife I need another $3000 (HaHa - she does not hear or see value in this hobby, prefering to listen to her music from her phone - yes, her phone!).

Given my budget and hearing, I feel this is the wisest choice right now.  I have no doubt there are even better amplifiers out there to consider, but budget does have to be a consideration.  I think of this as evolution toward audio nirvana, whatever that looks like to each of us.  I definitely have more upgrades in my future.

Thank you again for all your help and guidance!

Steve
smills59,

Enjoy you're new setup. As you found  out for yourself,  the knowledge/wisdom of the forums is valuable,  yet it doesn't replace what your ears ultimately prefer.

If your space allows it, speaker placement /room treatment will optimize their performance further.

Happy listening!
The smills59 OP will be back after the tube glow thing has has lost it’s appeal, for the right amp for the Summits as bigddesign3 did with a Krell.
As Martin Logan said Summits need current to sound at their best. (BTW current and amps are the same to whoever thought they were different)

Cheers George