Looking for brighter tubes

Attention tube heads: I'm looking for brighter (more treble...not higher amounts of glow and chrome) tubes, if they exist. My amp (Jolida JD502P) has a well regarded bunch of Russian Tung Sol 6550s and 12AX7/12AT7s but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that imparts more sizzle in this amp. I do like the amp as it is...but hey..."rolling rolling rolling, keep them tubeys rolling...
wolf_garcia

Showing 5 responses by wilson667

I just bought a Jolida jd-502p My self about two months ago and hell yes tube rolling is fun.the first tubes I changed were the tong sol 6550's to the new production gold lion kt88's. They are not only brighter but have a better extension top to bottom and every thing is more separated with a more defined sound stage. then I moved on to the 12ax7 slot I tried some RCA JRC- 5751WA good top end but no bass at all ended up with some JJ ECC83S gold pins good overall top to bottom but lack a little sparkle in the top end so still looking I have some EI elite gold pins on order. as for the the 12at7's I ended up with some nos mullards cv4024 they are good and quite nice top to bottom and maintain nice sound stage and separation
I was wondering the same thing about the TS KT120's Myself. I haven't stumbled across any specific info on the Jolida on the web though. I have read that the KT90's tend to have a more solid state sound and less of that tube warmth. I am sure someone will let me know if I am wrong.
found some info on KT120's at the TC tubes website

"KT120 substitution notes

The KT120 tube is one of the more exciting developments in new production vacuum tubes. Generally speaking it is a drop in replacement for 6550, KT88 and KT90 tubes, as long as the larger bottle fits in your chassis. This tube also draws more filament current (100-300 mA more per tube) than 6550/KT88/KT90 tubes do, so you need to be sure your power supply can handle the increased demand.

Many people report improved bass response and increased output with KT120 tubes. The reason for this stronger response is obvious when you look at its test results. New production 6550 and KT88 tubes we test range from 90-140% of the expected value for mA and Gm. Under the exact same operating conditions (500v plate, 300v screen, -30.5v bias) the KT120 rarely tests lower than 125% and can test as high as 185%. (We reject KT120 tubes that test higher than 165%--at some point you have to say enough is enough!)

Most fixed bias amps have enough range to dial KT120 tubes in to the recommended current draw for that amplifier, though some do not. Even if you are unable to bias the tube all the way down to the recommended current draw you can probably still use KT120 tubes. You'll just have to do a little math to be sure the tubes are running safely. Simply take the plate voltage and multiply it by the current measured in mA. For example, if your plate voltage is 500v and you are measuring 70 mA across a single tube then the math goes like this 500 x 0.070 = 35 Watts. Since this is a 60 watt dissipation tube and the rule of thumb is to run tubes at 65% of their maximum dissipation (60 x .65 = 39 Watts), 70 mA across a single tube in this case would be just fine even though the manual is likely to recommend 50 mA for a 6550 tube.

If you have an autobias amplifier you will want tubes at the lower end of the spectrum of KT120 tubes."