Looking for bookshelf upgrade from B&W DM302s

Currently hooked to a Rega Brio-R w/ Dac Magic. I play mostly lossless files from a NAS, but occasionally vinyl. Unfortunately, I have pretty eclectic listening: led zeppelin to liszt, so to speak. I love the DM 302s, but it just seems like something is missing. Some "oomph." (...and I dont want a sub.)

I have been eyeing: B&W 685, Dali Ikon I MkII, Epos Epic 2, Rega RS1, and Vienna Accoustics Haydn Grand.

I would like to spend less than $1k.

Would anyone 1) steer me away from any of these, or 2) have any other suggestions?

As always I will try before I buy if I can...ideally at home, but we'll see how good the dealers are (especially unlikely for under $1k speakers?). Also, if I audition them elsewhere, they will likely be on a different system and/or not broken in.

Thus my post looking for experience. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
dcowen1234

Showing 1 response by tobias

The DM302s are one of the most musical speakers you can find at the price. (Actually the only B&W I've heard that I liked more was the old DM4.) You'll need to take a big step if you want both musicality and extra weight at the low end.

The speakers on your list all have good reputations. You might consider adding the Triangle Comète.