Looking for Better Jitter Reduction in a DAC

I'm looking to improve the jitter control in my digital setup, which hopefully will create a more analogue presentation. I own a PS Audio PW Memory Transport, which sports a FPGA, and a Nuwave DSD DAC with a scaled-down version of the gate array.

I have owned a Chord which uses this technology and it was like listening to analogue recordings. I sold it only because it's soundstage was very forward, like sitting in the front row of a concert hall. My current PS Audio setup has wide and deep imaging, as does my Atma-Sphere preamp.
   I have auditioned the Schiit Grundir and it was a bit too fast in the attack and transients, but had the dynamics and deep imaging that I like. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a unit with a laid-back, realistic musical presentation.

The Mytek Digital Stereo192 DSD and Blue Circle DAC are in my price range, but there is no way to audition them.
  So any recommendation and advice is appreciated. DSD preferred, budget is about $1200 used.

128x128lowrider57

Showing 10 responses by rodge827

I'm using a PSA PWT Coaxial out to an iFi SPDIF iPurifier ($150.00 Music Direct 60 day return policy) with excellent results! It sound good out of the box. After 200 hours of run in it has really hit its stride. Better instrument separation, imaging, sound stage, nuances, and defined bass response to name a few things. I have owned the Syncro Mesh and though it is a good performer, but the cost is way too high especially since you need to purchase the upgraded Dynamo PS for best results. I just purchased an Uptone Audio Ultra Cap LPS-1 that will be delivered sometime next week. I'm not sure if it is needed but thought to give it a try. Super quiet power supplies are a must to get the best out of digital audio.
Current Digital Front End: PSA PWT > Virtual Mode Coaxial Digital Cable > iFi SPDIF iPurifier> Digital Amplifier Company DAC TS version

I have had many different digital front end set ups over the years and this set up rivals the best of them.

http://http//www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-spdif-ipurifier/

http://https//uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1 

Chris
"An Ayre Codex has become available, but I don’t know about using all optical. I don’t even know if there are any reclockers for optical."

The iFi will do optical with an included adapter. 

My LPS-1 will be here on Saturday :) Will report back in a week on how it does with the spdif iPurifier.
"Chris, I'm interested in your thoughts on Tommy's (owner of Digital Amplification Company) DAC - called the DAC DAC, of course. And the Uptone gear that you have with it -"

Gary

Hi Gary,
The Uptone LPS=1 will be delivered on Saturday 9/9/17 so I can't comment on it at this time. However I have had Tommy's DAC DAC in my system for about a month and I'm very pleased with it. I'm almost done building my system around a pair of Charney Audio Maestro Horns, built on the Tractrix theory. They are a full range single driver (Omega RS7) rear loaded horn. Charney suggested that I look into a solid state dac over a tube dac due to the sound characteristics of the RS7 driver.
I'm an emotional listener, I want to be moved and "get" what the artist is trying to convey. Tommy's HS DAC delivers on all counts and brings me deep into the soul of the music. Highs are well extended and not exaggerated, bass is deep and well defined without the mid-bass bump I experienced with many of the other dacs I had in my system over the last eleven months. The DAC DAC is clean, clear, tuneful, fast and precise, yet delivers music and not just good sound! 
This fall I hope to demo a pair of his Maraschino mono amps and compare them to the 300b integrated I'm using.

Current set up: PWT>Virtual mode Coaxial Dig Cable>SPDIF Purifier>DAC DAC>CR Electronic Designs Woodham 2.0 300b Integrated>Charney Audio Maestro's...IC's and Speaker wires are Jena Labs...Power cords are Aural Thrills Audio 9v Battery Active Shield...Power Conditioner-Tripp Lite Double Conversion UPS

lowrider57,

iFi provides an adaptor cable that the iPower plugs into and the LPS-1
is a perfect fit. 
BTW the LPS-1 takes the SPDIF Purifier to a higher level and IMHO is well worth the cost! 

Chris
Lowrider57,
The LPS-1 is installed instead of the iPower using the same adapter cable provided by iFi. The LPS-1 has three settings 3,5,and 7v with the 5v setting for the SPDIF Purifier...
I'm quite interested in what the LPS-1 does for your system.

The LPS-1 is a definite improvement over the iPower supplied with the SPDIF Purifier. Bass is fuller, tighter and extended. Highs are extended and clean, not searing! Voices are natural and full. 
With the iPower there was a slight graininess to the sound. With the LPS-1 all graininess is gone and the background is blacker than ever. Nuances are easier heard, instruments are better separated and natural. Dynamics are improved and imaging is off the charts.
I was very surprised at the results. With all of the iPower literature and hype I thought it would be a dead race but the LPS-1 proved to be a very worthy addition.
My thoughts are the SPDIF Purifier is the last device to "work" on the signal before the DAC. Part of what it does is to clean up re-clock, and pass the signal galvanic-ally  isolated. The digital signal is so fragile that any negative electrical abnormality will interfere. The LPS-1 offers a clean and pure power source so the SPDIF Purifier can perform at its best!

At the cost of less than a power cord, pair of IC's, speaker cable, esoteric tweeks, and tubes, the LPS-1 is a a very solid addition/investment/ recommendation to any low DC powered component. Only drawback is that your limited to 3.5,5, and 7v. Hope that Uptone will make a larger version for 12v DC and higher gear someday. 

Chris
Yes I agree with Dave letting your ears lead you. The iPurifier will
take about 100-200 hours to reach its full potential. Music Direct has a 60 day return policy so you should be good with respect to burn in.

Going through some medical expences for the last couple of years too. It’s a b---- but part of life. Hope all goes well for you in that regard.

Chris
I had the same results with the SPDIF in stock form. The LPS-1 took away all distortion, bass is better defined, soundstage, imaging, and 3D improved as well.

Ric Shultz at EVS does a $65.00 mod to and the results are said to be superb.

5-10-2017: For those that are using coax input on anything.....you must use a modified IFI SPDIF Ipurifier.   Simply amazing what this modded thing does. Stock, it gets nothing but rave reviews.....modified it is another thing altogether......incredible!   The mod consists of damping, removing two LEDs (toslink output and frequency/lock indicator, and hardwiring/shortening the power cable from the power supply.   The price of the mod is $65 plus return shipping .

The IFI spdif Ipurifier has an unpolarized AC plug on its power supply. Please try the power supply both ways into the AC socket. It sounds very much better in one direction. Please experiment for best sound.

http://tweakaudio.com/
http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/LKS_Mods.html
Scroll down the page from the LKS link for a letter from a customer regarding the mod. I will be sending mine to Ric soon for the mod.

Peace