Looking for an integrated amp to replace my Cayin A-50T

I currently have a Cayin A-50T integrated amp, and I recently had one of the EL34s die (due to age--not the amp...). Given the current tube shortage, I had to pay an inflated price for a new quad of tubes, which has caused me to consider a solid state integrated as a back-up initially, and based on the performance, possibly replace the Cayin. My speakers are Reynaud Euterpe Jubile (89dB/4 ohm) and my source is an Oppo 205.

I have no complaints whatsoever with the Cayin--just looking for a back-up and possibly get away from tubes in the future. As such, I am looking for SS integrated that would lean towards the same sonic signature--in the $1000-$2000 range. Since the Oppo has a volume control, I may be open to a power amp--in which case I would be open to an older well regarded model that I could perhaps obtain for a good price...

Regarding the integrated options--I only need a couple of inputs, and do not require a phono stage. Digital inputs are not a requirement, but could prove useful. I have been out of this for a while, so I am just getting back up to speed. If I had to choose today, I would go with a Cambridge CXA-81. The Rogue Sphinx or a Rotel are other options. perhaps a one of the Parasounds or something else I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for all input/suggestions!

Bob

Ag insider logo xs@2xpretender

I cannot recommend anything but a tube integrated. Have you tried KT77 tubes? I was shocked. More power as in dynamics, everything is just better. Solid deep bass, clear high and detail I did not have with the EL34s, which were excellent to begin with. I run a Primaluna which is very well made and I will never look back.

Your running (89dB/4 ohm) speakers with a Cayin A-50T?

It's a miracle your driver tubes lasted as long as they did!!! What a load.

Power handling capability according to the manufactor is 40-120 watts. If there was ever a case of pulling a rail car (your speakers), with a Shetland Pony (your Cayin), instead of a 1/4 horse, or better yet a draft horse, this is it.

It's a good thing you are using a tube amp instead of a SS amp, because the likelyhood of you clipping your speakers to death by now is very high.

$1000-$2000 isn't much of a budget to drive (89dB/4 ohm) speakers, unless you go used, & even then.

In a SS amp look for something with a massive power supply, with 120-200 watts of power. Not only will this give you impact at any volume, low or high (caveat, SS amps have a smaller sweet spot than tube amps), it will also give you the safety of "head room" so you don't clip/(damage) your speakers, or your amp.

If you can find a used Bryston B100 Integrated Amplifier, or a Krell KAV-300i Integrated Amplifier, you will have an integrated SS amp that will realize the Stradivarius violin potential laying in your Reynaud's, that can safely run those thirsty speakers for years to come.

Enjoy the experience.

You might consider finding a used hybrid integrated amplifier having tubes in the preamp stage.  Not as costly as output tubes and last longer. The SS amplifier stage can produce more power which your speakers may appreciate (depends on size of room). I believe you could find one used that would allow keeping both integrated amplifiers. 

A used Pathos Model One MKII, Vincent Audio 226MK or 236MK, Rogue Sphinx (class D) as examples.

@thehorn I was a bit surprised by your assessment that my speakers are hard to drive--I was of the thought that they were average compared to something like Thiels.  Although, I can understand where you are coming from--given your moniker.  

However, I appreciate your input and it will definitely have an influence on my decision--I have gone from looking for a spare amp to searching for a replacement for the Cayin.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to purchase something new, and I was close to choosing the Schiit Ragnarok.  Given your comments I am not ruling out:

1) AVA Vision SET 120

2) Rogue Sphinx

3) Cambridge CXA-81

Interested in your thoughts regarding these alternatives.  My primary reason for leaning toward the Ragnarok, is it that I may be interested in purchasing one of their DACs--and it appears as though there is a special synergy between their products. (It does have a 600VA transformer...) 

Also, as an aside--I find it interesting that nobody has suggested one of the Parasound integrateds...

Avoid Odyssey like the plague. Worst customer support in the industry.

The Rogue Sphinx is underpowered doo-doo and measures like it as well. Note how often they show up on the pre-owned market. It doesn’t sound anything like a tube amp. If you recall the thin, weak, fatiguing class D sound of the early 2000s, that’s the Rogue Sphinx in a nutshell.

The Rega Elex-R is one of the best sounding and dynamic SS integrateds under $2K. Yeah it has a built-in phono stage but what does that matter when it sounds as good as some of the $5K competitors?

If you want a SS amp that performs well in emulating tube sound, the Yamaha A-S1100 or 2100 are hard to beat. Again, ignore the fact it may have useless add-ons. It’s the sound that matters. I’m a fellow Cayin tube amp owner. I’ve heard many SS integrateds in this price range and the only one that has come remotely close to the Cayin is an A-S1100. The Rogue Cronus Magnum is good (beats pants off the Sphinx) but is noisier than your Cayin.