Looking for advice - Debugging an unexpected music shut down
Hi all, I am looking for some advice and troubleshooting on a problem that I encountered with my system at our New Years Party. Any thoughts are welcome!
So we had a great New Years party - lots of people and dancing. Sound level was pretty loud, and I would occasionally hear a short drop out ( maybe a second or two) - not ideal but not a party killer. Then late at night everything stopped - mid song. I was streaming from a Roon playlist and could not get it going again! I waited about 15 min and then tried to replay - voila - we have music again. So the issue I have is why the small drop outs and why the big one?
My room is large - 20x25 feet with 14 foot ceilings. Sound levels were high (didn't measure but think club level).
Speakers are 88 db efficient and driven by a 100wpc Yamaha AS-801 integrated. Streaming from Roon via Airplay to a Cambridge CXNv2 dac. Roon Core is on a Synology NAS. Content was all 16/44 AIFF files with some Tidal Hi Res and a smattering of MQA files. I stream over 5ghz wifi with an endpoint as I can't run ethernet to the main room.
Potential Issues - my thoughts.
1. Wifi issue. Possible but I don't normally have drop outs when streaming (all my music is streamed over WIFI either from Tidal or local files). Only 2 phones on my 5ghz networks so it shouldn't be congested.
2. Airplay issues. Again I don't normally have issues but this or above could explain some of the short drop outs?
3. Roon Core not keeping up. I don't have a super high end Nas (Celeron processor) but I was only doing volume normalization and no fancy dsp functions.
4. Roon app on iPhone issues. Maybe the app bugged out and stopped working? It never crashed but you never know.
5. Amp overheated / clipping. This could be the culprit. With 100 watts and the room size and sound levelI suspect I was maxing out the amp. I did feel the top of it and it was quite warm (not scorching but way hotter than I had felt it before). I could see this explaining the long shut down time, and the fact that after letting things be for 15 min I could resume the playlist.
Would love to resolve this - nothing says get out of my house like stopping the music - and that certainly wasn't the intent!
All thoughts are welcome.