Looking for additional cable ideas...

I am currently experimenting with a variety of speaker cables. My system consists of Cary 306, Kimber Hero, Cary SLP 2002 pre, Kimber Hero, Cary Rocket 88 push-pull triode mode driving Spendor SP 1/2. I own Cardas cross and Kimber 8TC, and have on loan Purist Elementa (soft and uninvolving), Discovery, Goertz MI 2 Python, and Nordost Solar Wind. The cable that comes closest to what I am looking for is the Goertz. It has glorious mids, it is open and natural, with plenty of detail. It is by no means bright, but does have some noticeable sibilance. By comparison, the Nordost has a far superior high end performance, with clarity, detail, focus and no sense of grain or harshness. Right now I have the Nordost on top and the Goertz on the bottom and am enjoying the best of both worlds. Naturally however, I would prefer to find one brand of bi-wire that can give me what I am looking for. I am looking for ideas. If I had to choose one or the other from what I have now, I would take the Goertz, as it gives me a better overall presentation. The leanness of the Nordost in the mid-bass/lower midrange robs piano and sax of their natural timbre.
mike7142

Showing 2 responses by mike7142

Well, the decision has finally been made and the winner is the Goertz MI-2, in the original flat design. I bought two separate runs to bi-wire. Thanks Scott and Sean, for the initial suggestion, I did find cleaner, truer bass and less pronounced treble with the flat cables. While I would love to try the Kimber Bi-focal X, they are cost prohibitive in comparison to the Goertz. Some day, when money is less of an issue, I will certainly give them a try. Thanks again to all who responded.

Mike
Thanks to all for the input so far. It appears I am guilty.
I assumed (I know,I know ) since the Cable Co. and Goertz' own web site said the MI2 and the Python MI2 were sonic equivalents, that there was no need for me to hear the flat MI2. Now I will definitely try them. Scott, can you quantify the characteristics you preferred in the flat design? Sean, VERY interesting observation about the bass bloat. I had noticed a SLIGHTLY overripe bass, but I attributed that to the Spendor/Cary combo, based in part on discussion with Bob Neill. I did the best I could by moving the speakers further into the room, but I am curious now what the flat Goertz may do in this area. I will certainly contact the company directly regarding two other areas. Their web site says that the capacitance problem is only of concern in very few systems, with SS amps utilizing negative feedback and unstable design, coupled to speakers with high impedance at high frequencies. Since I have a zero feedback tube amp, and since I don't believe the Spendors impedance goes too high, I wasn't anticipating a problem, but better safe than sorry. Also, I would like to know if you can readily tell the Teflon version from the original. Sonic brings up a good point, have either of you tried the Goertz in single runs (maybe MI3) with their jumpers?

Mike