Looking for a tubed Preamp around $2000 Used

I’m looking for a used tube preamp. Preferably with a tube phono section in the $1,500-$2,000 range. I’m thinking BAT VK-30, (I Know it dosn't have a tubed Phono,) VAC Standard as well as the Juicy Music Blue Berry. Any thoughts comparisons would be most appreciated. I listen to 60% rock 30%jazz 10% classical.

I currently have a Thornes 520 turntable a Sun Step up transformer for an Otoforon MC cartridge. Adcom 750 Pre (Can’t wait to replace), Wadia 301 CD Player, Sun 2A3 Push-Pull Mono’s and Cabasse 401 speakers.
hkvos
I have a recently upgraded (11/04) Audible Illusions Modulus 3-A with "gold" phono board, black and bronze anodized faceplates, boxes, manuals, tube kit, review articles. I upgraded to a Reflection Audio OM-1.

I simply haven't gotten around to listing it for sale. I think $1300 plus shipping is a fair price.
You might be interested in my Granite Audio 770. It has a tubed linestage, phono stage, and power supply. I have had the chance to compare it against a lot of stuff and it has bested most. I have compared it to a BAT VK-31SE and thought the Granite to add a touch more body and emotion to the music. The other pre I compared it to that day, a Hovland HP-100, performed on a virtually equal level. I am looking to move up to a Audio Research Ref3 and truely feel I have to go up to this level to get a significant improvement.
A used Counterpoint SA-5000 would be about $1500. It's an excellent preamp and phono stage as-is and amazing when modded by Mike Elliott (Alta Vista Audio).

Phil
Not all VK3i's have a phono stage and the inboard is acceptable but nothing special. A CAT/w phono should be available in that price range. I did like the BAT better than the CAT, but that probably goes against conventional wisdom.

Any CAT Signature MK II or above is recommended. Tubed unit with separate power supply and accepts unbalanced ins/outs only. You can probably get a used CAT Sig. Mk II for $2000 and the Mk III for a bit more. Well worth it with good re-sale value too.

Happy Hunting!
The 2A3s will drive the Cabasses? Interesting.

If you don't need remote volume control (it's a must for me) you might try to find a used Joule Electra LA100. The entire Joule range are great sounding and very musical. My memory of the 2A3s I owned some years ago were they are quite transparent with the right speakers. I think the BAT stuff might be a good match, too. You probably like a faster, more dynamic sound and BAT can give that. Be leary of C-J pres as those available in your price range may be a bit veiled and lacking in dynamics.
You might try an Audible Illusions Modulus3A with John Curl phonostage, well regarded and a good bargain,often available on Audiogon.
BAT VK3i will get you a phono section. Modwright linestage can be had new for that amount, no phono stage though. Both should be strong performers. Neither is really "tubey" sounding, instead they add just a touch of that tube magic.
A used Rogue Magnum 99 with phono section (tubed) is within your price range. It is a fantastic preamp; very dynamic, detailed, rich sounding pre. Stereophile did a review on it a few years back and loved it.

There is currently one for sale here on AudioGon for $1475. and it includes the phono section. (and, no, I'm not the seller.)