Looking for a tube phono pre

Looking for a tube phono pre in the 2500 to 3k price range. Currently running a Sutherland Insight LPS. Using a PrimaLuna EVO 400 integrated and VPI Prime scout with Hana ML. I have a Chinook on order at Upscale but they are dragging their feet and I have read some reliability issue post with the Chinooks, so I can cancel the order. Anyone compare the Rogue to a Chinook? Thanks

128x128jmphotography

Another recommendation for Zesto. I have owned the Andros 1.2 for almost 7 years and have enjoyed it a great deal. It sounds wonderful, has been 100% reliable, is easily adjusted and has the flexibility for loading and gain to accommodate just about any cartridge.

A used Andros 1.2 would be well within your price range and even a used Andros 2, which has the new power supply, could be had at the upper end of your price range or close to it. 

Why are you unhappy with the Sutherland? Too clean, detailed and accurate? Maybe improving the cartridge will do more for you.

@sokogear Never said I was unhappy. Sutherland is a fabulous pre for the money. Yes its detailed and dynamic. I am running tubes for amplification and just wanted tubes on the phono as well. I received my Chinook and its also very clean and detailed and very dynamic, full body is how I would put it. Bass is very extended. What it really adds over the Sutherland is depth in soundstage, layers upon layers of depth. Its also wider and more holographic soundstage and its just getting burned in yet. Nothing at all wrong or unhappy with the Sutherland though.

The Audio Research PH8 is a great value that provides beautiful sound with a reasonable fixed gain of 58db.

@dhite71

+1

I whole heartedly agree. I owned a PH8 for many years I think it was about their highest performing phono stages for the money… and used, a screaming deal. I now own a Reference 3… ok, better but at twice the cost.