Looking for a integrated DAC/AMP to power my Elac UF5's < $1500

Hi
I'm looking for some suggestions on a integrated DAC/AMP to power my Elac UniFi UF5's.
I listen to music of all genres, and my listening habit is usually on the nice 60-75 spl, but occasionally I like to "party" up to 85+spl.
My room is ~ 18x24 with vaulted ceilings and a listening distance of 9ft from the speakers.

My content is exclusively digital and will be fed to the DAC/AMP from the optical out of a Bluesound Node2 (not i).

I have been looking around but it seems that for every integrated amp I find, there is someone complaining about their sound quality and say "you can do a lot better for the money" but many don't go further and provide alternatives, where when there are, they may not seem suitable to the 4OHM/85dB efficiency of the UniFi's.

Greatly appreciate suggestions.
asilvr

Showing 2 responses by soix

Not sure if you want a DAC/Amp combo for space or what, but it somewhat limits your choices in your price range especially if you’re in need of some robust power.  If you can deal with a separate integrated amp and DAC you could pick up a new Rogue Sphinx V2 for $1100 from Acoustic Sounds and a used Schiit Bifrost Multibit for around $300 - $400 and have a very nice sounding and powerful system.  The Sphinx puts out 100Wpc and doubles to 200Wpc into 4Ohms, and you have the flexibility to swap the tubes in the preamp section to further customize the sound if desired.  Best of luck. 
I have also been reading about mismatch between amps, dacs and pre amps that I assumed that if I buy an integrated, I wouldn’t have two components exacerbating certain frequencies and making the sound too harsh. not sure if makes sense :)

It makes some sense, but only if the DAC/Amp combo itself elicits overall sound that’s pleasing to you, which may or may not be the case. Toward that end, it would help immensely if you could describe in more detail what sound characteristics of a system are most important to you as well as what characteristics you’d like to avoid. You’ll get much better and more meaningful recommendations here, combo or otherwise, with that crucial info.

And yes, in general there can be some value advantages to buying integrated audio products, but as usual in audio there are trade offs. In this case, combining noisy digital components in the same box as the amplification components is less than optimal (although you do save a digital interconnect). Plus, as DAC technology progresses, which it is doing at a rapid pace, having a separate DAC makes some sense as it makes future upgrades much easier — trying to resell a DAC/Amp combo with an older DAC section will likely negatively impact its future value. Just some things to consider while making your decision.