Looking for a GREAT preamp under $2000...thoughts?

I have a system that is mostly from the mid-90's and I'm upgrading it piece by piece. Just ordered the Gallo Reference 3.5's with sub amp, bought a Graham Slee ERA Gold Reflex phono preamp, and found a second NAD 214 amp for extremely cheap on ebay ($100), (so I can bridge it with my current NAD 214). Before upgrading the amp and turntable (Goldring GR2), I'd like to look at doing an upgrade on the preamp. What can I get either used or new for around $2000 that will blow me away? I think it's prefer solid state over tube, but I'm open to suggestions
mountainpics

Showing 3 responses by lowrider57

The Rogue Perseus can be had for about $1800 new. It uses (2) 12AU7 tubes (very low noise). A very neutral, open sounding preamp with wide soundstage.
Not trying to sell you one, just saying with your budget you can afford tubes.
One point I want to make is that you can change the timbre of a tube preamp. Rolling in some NOS tubes would make for an open, lush sound. Yes, you will need to spend some time auditioning the AR and the Metis, but it might be worth it.
I've got one last comment. You've got the amps you wanted, you have some EXCELLENT speakers, now take a little time to audition some tube pre's. There are excellent recommendations in the above comments. The point is to get the most out of those Gallos.