Looking for a good full range floor stander

Hello all.  Making a good two way system for a 20 x 40x 12 high room budget 12k to 16 k.  Powered by a bryston 14b cubed amp.  Have a surround system with Golden ear ref and surrounds powered by parasound a21 for mains  and Carver cinema grand for surrounds. Like the GEs  The speakers I'm looking for will be for music only lots of jazz (female vocalist a fav), classical, classic rock and roll (70's and up).  I have heard good things about proac k6, Joseph audio, and a few others but am not within 4 hours of audition range.  Real interested in people in the know about the proac or suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
paliden

Showing 4 responses by gsm18439

My room is about your size, and I my listening tastes are similar. I have a pair of Zu Definitions that are definitely full range. Zu offers a 60 day home trial. 
As I noted, my space is similar to that of the OP: 45x24x16 - and it is very live with no carpets or other soft surfaces, but it does have various partitions that break up the waves - such as a free standing fireplace. If one of the OP's goals is to fill the space with music, the only option is trial and error. I auditioned several speakers that I really liked in a dealer's store or at a show, but that died in my home. It found that it easier to fill one end of the space with good sound than to fill the entire volume. I also did not want a huge monolith that would visually dominate the space. In general, I found that more sensitive speakers seemed to be a better fit. 
" We have found even if you are somewhat close to a speaker in a large room it helps but doesnt take away the feeling that the sound is not filling the room."

Agreed. And cranking up the volume does not alleviate the issue entirely. 
I am fortunate to live in an urban area - Washington, DC - with several B&M stores and distributors who are willing to cooperate with in-home auditions. Nothing is as good as an in-home experience, especially when the room is challenging. I know that the OP does not have this luxury. But it is true nonetheless.