Looking for a first Tube Amp for under $1000

What would you turn to? I've read some very positive comments on the Onix SP3, Jolida JD-502b and the ASL AQ1003DT. What would be a good first amp which is easy to use (setting bias)? I mainly listen to rock and jazz and the amp would originally be played through a pair of Bose 301-IV speakers.
killwhat

Showing 2 responses by veroman

i use a modified 502b that i bought from an agon dealer. easy to bias, other than unplugging outputs to components it is a 2 minute job at most. new ones have built in biasing option i believe plus remote. has worked great for me and has 60 wpc which is plenty. fwiw, if you are serious about sound you better trash those speakers before you can appreciate any decent amp, regardless of tube or solid state. i hope you are already aware of this :)
killwhat, never heard the onix spkrs but fwiw, just about anything will beat the bose and spkrs are the most 'personal' foundation in any system so i'd definitely recommend auditioning quite a few before getting a 'deal' on a combo. of all your components the speakers will ultimately flavor the sound to your tastes. used hi end spkrs on a gon are a bargain compared to retail and will take you to a new level affordably. jmo. good luck!