Looking for a DAC under 2k

I'm using a Small Green Computer Optical Rendu to bring usb to a DAC.
Looking for a new DAC around 2k new or used.

Recently, I had a Border Patrol Se-i which sounded beautiful with a great soundstage and a relaxed sound. Unfortunately, dynamics and bass definition were weak.

Next up, I tried the ifi Pro iDSD. Detailed and clean, but lots and lots of settings to play with. Became noisy after a couple hours and eventually stopped putting out sound and went silent. Can't deal with that kind of poor quality, but really would have prefer a little warmer sound.

I borrowed my Chord Qutest from my headphone system. Very good with my tube headphone system, and not bad on the speaker system, but would like something a bit more analog sounding, like a Border Patrol with dynamic punch and clearly defined, not muddy bass.

TIA, for suggestions.

traudio
D100 is proly out there in the wild as well and is very similar I think, Same ESS Sabre  implementation with digital volume control. https://www.avforums.com/reviews/mcintosh-d100-digital-preamp-review.590

I own the MHDT Orchid DAC.  The TDA 1541 chip is rated one of the best sounding of the discreet R2R chips and the DAC can be purchased from a US distributer.

I purchased mine online and from a review a spare tube was to be sent if purchased form the US distributer.  I didn't get the spare tube when my order came so I contacted the US distributer and asked about it. 

Their response was that the promotion had ended BUT sent me a spare tube anyway 

I think it sounds fantastic but haven't been able to compare it to any other brands accept the ALLO Piano DAC with the reclocker.   I like it much better than that DAC.   After Covid I'm hoping the DIY club here n the Northwest will be able to facilitate a DAC OFF to actually compare to some of the other members DACs purchased and built.
for those that care and are interested in chi-fi dacs like topping singxer gustard etc etc, there is a us-based retail outfit called apos audio - they are in nor cal and they represent and sell a number of these well known chi-fi dac/electronics brands (but not denafrips)

i am NOT recommending these dacs, in fact i bought a topping d90 mqa from apos and returned it after trial - it wasn’t for me

but apos are responsive, stand up guys who take care of customers and live up to promises made on support and customer service for usa based buyers interested in their chi fi offerings