Looking for a $500 or so phono preamp -- BC23 ?

Hi, how would a used Blue Circle BC23 stack up against some of the newer phono preamps Graham Slee, Edwards Audio or Project (Tube Box II?).
What would you buy on that budget ? Any suggestions ? I'm all EARs (yes, lousy pun intended).
Thanks in advance.
128x128kennyman

Showing 10 responses by redglobe

I used Jantzen Superior z-caps 1.0 uf from Parts Express. It was an inexpensive modification for $25. There was a material improvement in mid and high-end clarity.
I paid around $500 for a Jasmine through Ebay-China. I made a slight modification on the output capacitors and I am extremely pleased with the sound. I use a Denon DL-S1 LOMC.
Nandric, I have an older Jasmine. I don't know if the newer MkII has upgraded capacitors. They may have taken this into account in the latest model. Nevertheless, I had a fellow audio buddy over and he remarked on the fluidity and openness of the sound when we played of couple of his Mercury pressings.
Kennyman, The Jasmine does not need the capacitor upgrade. It sounds great the way it is. However, if you want to tinker, you can do so. I purchased mine directly from the China vendor that is on Ebay szeastsun.
Actusreus, Is it that you think local technicians cannot repair the equipment? Or are you suggesting that there might not be local warranty coverage? In the latter instance, are you suggesting that customers avoid purchasing used equipment (because most warranties are not transferable or the warranty has expired)?

Honestly, the Chinese-made Jasmine is recommended for its high value to cost, much like buying high-end used equipment. If the Chinese-made gear were comparably priced to domestic products, I would agree with you. However, that is not the case.
Nandric, Please let me know your experience with the Jasmine. I believe you can send an email directly to me through member lookup.
Nandric, I also purchased the Jungson JA88D (reviewed/owned/recommended) by Troels Gravesen. It is another China-made product. It has a big and open sound stage with very smooth performance throughout the sonic range.
I have had my Jasmine for several years. I upgraded the output capacitors with Jantzen Superior z-Caps and I could not be happier. I like value for the dollar and hate to spend for a name.

I have had other audio listeners audition the system and they are stunned at the open and fluid sound that comes from the system.

I don't even give a thought to upgrading.
Hi Nandric, You might investigate first before increasing the gauge of wire. The voltage is very small and increasing the size may be detrimental to the performance (think in terms of voltage = water pressure and wire size = water pipe diameter).

The output capacitors are 1 uf. I only tried Superior z-caps. You could try the Silver version or even the Auricaps. Review Humble Hifi's Capacitor test page for rating of a wide range of capacitors. You might find something even better.