Looking at upgrading to a new MC cartridge any thoughts?

Hi everyone I had recently just bought a new Rega RP8 turntable and bought a Dynavector 20X2L as my first moving coil cartridge to see what all the hype is on MC. I was thinking of getting a second cartridge and use this one as a back up. I was looking at the dynavector XX2 MKII. over the 17D3 Because Im worried bout the diamond cantilever and getting dust very easily on it. But for the same money I could get the Rega Apheta2. So I must ask is the dynavector xx2 better preforming cartridge over the Aphata 2? Whats your guys thoughts on this?
128x128jakecanada
Jakecanada - I’ve owned a lower pried Rega cart and it was very disappointing.

Rega should stick to what they are good at.

For just under $2k you could get a Van den Hul MC 10 Special

And for $3k there is the Van den Hul Frog

I’ve heard the Frog and it is very good, but the MC 10 should be right up there

Also take a look at the Soundsmith carts - they have quite a versatile line-up
http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Soundsmith

I have a Soundsmith modified Denon DL 103 and it is extremely good for around $650 - then you can get a wood headshell - just one of many mods for this cartridge.

FYI - the advanced stylus profiles that soundsmith employ, like their Optimized Countour Contact Line requires extremely precise setup.

I used a friends Mint Best tractor.
http://mintlp.com/best.htm

Finicky, YES - but so worth going the extra mile

Question - what part of Canada - I’m in Collingwood, Ontario

Regards - Steve
I've found my 17D3 very enjoyable and easy to maintain.   Dynavector provides a brush, for cleaning the stylus and cantilever.  You probably got one with your 20X too.    That and a little STYLAST(same bottle since 1981) have kept everything deposit free, for a few years now.
Go for the Dyna XX2 MKII.  Maintenance is not a problem, and it sounds great.  You'll want a good phono stage in order to get the most from the Dyna.
Another vote for the XX2 MkII.  I found it a distinct improvement from the 17D3.  It especially likes tube preamps, FWIW.

Have fun!