looking at mcintosh pre-amp c2500. Can I do better for the cost of a Mac?

I'm being told I can get a better pre amp for the money I would spend on a Mac. 

macandtosh

Showing 4 responses by macandtosh

I'm new to high end audio and I have a lot to learn. I fell in love with the sound tube amps or pre-amps produce. I know my pre amp is what I want to build off of. Unfortunately money is an issue so I was hoping to get the best sound for what I can afford. Reading all the blogs and specs on amps and pre amps my brain is on over load. I have only heard mcintosh, Rotel coupled with B&W speakers to reference too. 

With that hat said thank you for ur input @ joeinid. 

Thank you all for you're input it is greatly appreciated. I enjoy all sorts of music (Country, Electronic, hip hop, alternative, and some classical.) I even enjoy some Jazz on occasion. Anything with live instruments I love.   

I currently have Rotel latest line of class AB amps the MKII(1582 & 1552) 
Oppo 105D blue-ray player, Pioneer elite receiver and B&W 600 series speakers. 

I'm leaning more towards starting a whole different system to enjoy just my music and  leave my current setup for my movies, football games, fights ect.....

I was thinking tube pre amp, either tube or ss amp, nice dac, and turntable for my new collection of vinyl.

@effischer so I pulled the trigger on the C2500. On paper and through reputation its seemed like a good decision. Cant wait to see just how good its DAC and built in Phono are. I will post my findings once its all set up. ill be sure to make note of all the changes in sound as I go through swapping out my amps and other components as well.....