Long XLR cables - DIY construction suggestions?

Hello,

Wanted to ask for recommendations for a DIY XLR cable designs suitable for about 40 foot run -- home use. Pre-amp to active crossover.

Any suggestions for a nice sounding design? Couple of notes to aide the thinking:
1.  I like the sound of BBQ Audio Duelund wire XLR cables that I have but they are ony 18' long. Situation changed. Also, they are a bit pricey. But sound so good.
2. Don't think I have too much RFI or other sorts of interference to worry about.
3. Don't like bright sounding cables. Such as silver based of any form.
4. I've got 900 ft. of CAT5 solid core teflon (plenum rated) wire, just in case.

thanks,
Herman

gera
Search this site and you'll find Doug Schroeder's suggested cable type.  I experimented with them and found them to sound better than my expensive silver high priced spread.  Read all the posts and then decide for yourself, however, I am very pleased with the outcome.   I got them from AudioSensibility in Canada.  They aren't expensive, but they sound great in my system.  I have an all Ayre system run completely balanced.
There are no nice sounding DIY designs.

If there were then I know exactly the guy who would have them. He’s spent the better part of 40 years building all kinds of interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords. He’s built every design out there. He’s torn apart and copied enough big money name brand wire to do ten systems five times over.

He has yet to build anything even close to the first cheap (under $200) interconnects and power cords I was buying 20 years ago.

Its a complicated subject made even more difficult by there being so many poorly made yet professionally designed and very expensive products out there. But the reality is that whatever time and money you have to put into it will be much better spent auditioning (not asking, not reading, but listening) and then spending whatever you planned on spending anyway on whatever you find sounds best.

That's based not only on the scores of tries he made, but everyone else I know, including a few times I let myself get deluded enough to think I’d found the answer.

The one exception is if instead of being focused on obtaining the best sound for the money what you really want is to be able to say you made it yourself. In that case, as Rosanne Rosanna-Danna used to say, "Oh. Well, that’s different then. Never mind!"
Its helpful if your equipment supports the Balanced Line Standard (AES48). In this regard probably the most salient point is that whatever is driving the interconnect cable does not put any signal current through the shield (pin 1) of the interconnect cable. IOW it is for shielding only.

We use Mogami Neglex studio cable, with Neutrix connectors. It works great! But our gear supports the standard.

Whatever you do don't connect the ground tab of the XLR connector to pin 1 (which is the shield connection)!