Logitech Squeezebox vs. Sonos

Howdy from Fort Worth, TX!!

Trying to decide between Logitech and Sonos systems. Logitech Squeezebox (Touch or Duet) is about $299 all over Amazon; Sonos ZP90 bundle with CR200 is about twice as much.

AFAIK here are the advantages of each--
Logitech Duet--GUI on remote, but I haven't seen the back panel for connectivity. USB out??
Logitech Touch--AFAIK, the newest of the three, GUI on unit, simplest remote, coax, optical, and USB outs.
Sonos--GUI on CR200, no USB out, also can be controlled by PC/Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch. Piggyback RJ45 to replace the one lost on hookup to Ethernet. Easy hookup for computer control, but does ZP90 have DHCP built-in to address the extra RJ45, and is it automatic, or does it use some kind of NetBios, or is the IP address of the extra RJ45 seen and assigned by my router?

The ?'s to the floor concern all of the above, but also--
Will I need a Wi-Fi router to use the remotes? I'm strictly Ethernet now, and I'm not too fond of being sniffed (but if some teenybopper with a sniffer steals my Mahler, i guess it's better than Lady Gaga!)
Ability to handle 24/96, 24/192, DSD, etc.?
LBNL, sonic comparison between the three units?

BTW, I have a Naim/Spendor setup, and right now I use a MF V-DAC with PSU (which accepts all digital input schemes). I chose a low-priced DAC because the technology (especially the USB, which only goes out to 48k on the MF) is in its infancy.

Finally, I'm leaning towards optical coupling between player and system, which will create an inherent isolation between the hi-fi system ground and the computer/network ground. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John
128x128distant_replay

Showing 1 response by swanny76109

Hey John. I am in the FW area and have a Squeezebox Duet setup in two systems if you'd like to take a look and listen. It doesn't do hi res but you can hear how good it sounds with ripped rebook CDs. I may go touch for my main rig so I can do hi res. PM me if you want.