Locating capacitors

I'm re-capping my tube amp. I'm having difficult locating some caps with a Google search. I'm not sure if they're made any more. Can anybody suggest a supplier that might have: SAMHWA axial (light blue casing)(GA) 85° C (M) 9104 350v. Thanks!
steakster

Showing 3 responses by dhl93449

Axials are especially hard to find current replacements for. Most all the new designs are radial (with the leads coming out of the same end). Axials the leads come out of opposing ends.

I think Vishay makes a line of current axial electrolytics (you can find them at DigiKey), but the range of values and voltage ratings is limited. You also did not mention the capacitance value.

I did a Digikey search for you for "axial electrolytic capacitors", and no parts come back at 350 V. Highest is 200 V, and all those are made by Vishay, with values from 10-100 mfd.

Parts Express has some high voltage axial electrolytics under the name "Ruby Gold". They are 350-500 V parts, from about 10 mfd up to 100 mfd:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=ruby+gold+capacitor&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=ruby+gold+capacitor&x=20&y=10

Also, are you sure this is an electrolytic cap and not a film cap?

Post the capacitance!!!
At that capacitance you might also be able to find a polypropylene film type. It will be a larger and more expensive, but sonically a vast improvement. And those will be radial so they may not fit as well.
Steakster:

I would choose the cap based on operating temp (105C preferred over 85 C), then the lowest ESR (equivalent series resistance), then finally ripple current (highest best). Load life is generaly the life of the capacitor operated at a given set of conditions specified by the manufacturer (like maximum temp of 105C and max ripple current) before it begins exceeding its specs (say for example, leakage current, which may steadily increase as the cap gets older). A 2000 Hr rating will not be as good as a 5000 hr rating, for example.