LittelFuses Series 285 AUDIO/MEDICAL Quality

After doing some research I found  Littlefuse sells  AUDIO/MEDICAL quality fuses  Series 285 
they are all slo-blow, buy come in various sizes including  5x20 

With the cost being less than $10, has anybody tried these over $100 "Audiophile" brands?

https://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics/datasheets/fuses/littelfuse_fuse_285_datasheet.pdf.pdf
brubin

Showing 25 responses by brubin

I am going to try another point of view. Follow me on this path to see where we end up.

I believe we can all agree that not all speakers produce the same sound or perform the same way, correct? Yes. Why? They have the same fundamental components, tweeter, mid and bass drivers, and crossover. Quality parts and design make difference - Agree? Yes.

Same with your AMP, pre-amp, source equipment (phono, DAC etc) Agree? Yes.

So why is there a belief that speaker cables and interconnects are not thought to be the same? Why should we not treat them as integral system components? I propose that they do make a difference, how do I know? because I tried it. If you agree on cables then why not power conditioners or fuses etc. Ultimately, the goal is the sound improvement. Why does it work? Because it is the reduction of distortion in the sound signal.

Perhaps  high-breaking capacity is  high-interrupting   1500A @ 250VAC 
?

Any listening experience with the Fuses?
Agree to the fast-blow, slow-blow,
The littelfuses  Series 285 were for my Slow blow fuses,  but the 

BHK 250 Amp uses 4  F10AL250V F= Fast Blow 10 AMP L=Low breaking capacity 250V glass 5x20 fuses for the speaker connections 

I have yet to find any ceramic 5x20 fuses which are L=Low Breaking capacity. I have found is a H=High breaking capacity.

I am skeptical that any of the  audiophile fuses which are ceramic are L=Low breaking.  Could this become an issue?

Come on guys - I am serious. We all know everything can affect sound quality and change the characteristics. I did not want to debate if fuses can or can’t impact sound. I was looking for fuses that meet the manufactures requirements.  Are there any ceramic 5x20 Fast blow fuses which are L=Low Breaking capacity that anyone has tried which provide quality audio? I am looking to find quality fuses or audiophile fuses that can truly provide specifications and industry standards regarding Low breaking?

Thank you  Nonoise.   I totally understand where people come from with fuses not making any difference, but they probably never tried, and if they did perhaps their system is not transparent enough to hear it. 

I was reluctant about speaker wire but tried out a pair of knock ofKimbers and they made a difference after that I purchase Tara Lab cable and it was a whole new world of listening. 

Well looks like I can use Ceramic Fast blow with High Breaking capacity after all.. It is to bad that the Littelfuse series 285 does not have a fast blow option. I am going to give the Littelfuse series 216 ceramic a try for my speaker rail fuses since they are fast blow. Note the original fuses are glass. My other power fuses for main power and tubes are slow blow so I will change them to the series 285. Note the fuses that came with the amp were ceramic gold plating. Will report changes here.

Thank you all for your support.
Bill
Cakyol,
What are your thoughts on Speaker cables or interconnects?  Larger diameter cables are better so 2/0 welding wire should be great to use, but they sound like crud.  So what is it then?  

If fuses don't work then why are people saying they work?  

Bill
George,

They are ceramic, but the point is they are designed for audio and medical applications.  I was looking to see if anyone used them and if so there experience vs "audiophile" fuses.  I believe audiophile fuses my have better sound, but I am not willing to sacrifice my equipment on fuses without industry standards.   Like bee's wax fuses - come on!
Thank you George for your comment, you have validated my point.  You did not say, "I tried swapping fuses with ... X results".  Do you believe speaker cables or interconnects make a difference?  If so why not fuses?

Bill
 George, 
You guys crack me up.   Yes George this posting was about fuses, but that does not mean I have an obsession.  I am seeking answers.  On the other hand, you have not told me about your experience with fuses.  What about cables?  are you using Lamp cords or 2/0 welding wire?  

Don't get me wrong George your input is appreciated, but if you would add content or data to backup your opinion it would add value. 

Nonoise,

You like poking the poor old bear, don't you :)

Thanks again and good listening
Bill

Cakyol -

So reviewers like Michael Fremer are delusional and/or very gullible?

Perhaps you never tried quality audio cables or have a system that is not transparent enough to hear a difference... etc

There are more cables than ohms law and shielding - The removal of the noise is more than shielding it is the removal of distortion.  Capacitance, inductance all play a role in audio quality.    Its Litz wire all delusional?

I am sure $9 cables would not do much for any system including a Mid-fi,  Its too bad that blanket statements are made without the substance of experimentation. 
I holding off on the fuses for a few months.  In order to upgrade my power condition system to  Shunyata Delta with cables first. 

George and Cakyol ,  I am sure you will say power is power.  It will not make any difference, Right?  
I do not know what hardware he has,  it could be several variables.  Perhaps he will let us know?  

georgehifi  - your assumption is that all power conditioners add resistance.   But let us assume you are correct.  How much resistance?  
Resistance is always a factor including the cheap power cords used. 

But let us go down the bunny trail and say you have a 15amp RMS supply from the wall outlet.  There as very few power amplifiers manufactured regardless of price or topology that will exceed 5 amps RMS at full volume.  But even if our system has a maximum draw of 10 amps (which is a lot) and your power conditioner adds a hypothetical resistance adding a  1/4 amp draw.    Would you have an issue?  

A bigger issue is fast transient signals that exceed the short term capabilities of your amps power supply.  This voltage drop in milliseconds adds audible distortion, particularly in a premium system.  The combination of a high-quality power conditioner and high-quality power cords noise is to suppress noise.

I love it. 
We have a "do the math" and an " over my head"  guy.   Look if your happy with what you have great.  Let others who have the experience with power conditioners provide content.

Like the Amish where technology ended in the 1850s, technology ended for you in the 1970s?  
The Earth is flat and we never went to the Moon. 

I don't mind people saying it does not work - unless they never tried it.  Short of crystals on equipment, if someone tried to upgrade their fuses or power system and did not receive positive results then share the details.  Provide details of the experiment - what system did they try it with, including Amp, Pre-amp, source, cable information. What are the variables of your testing?   "It was a different sound, but I did not like it" is valid data.  

Georgehifi,

I am sure you have strong beliefs on the subject and from your posts, it is worthless for you to pursue.  But if you don't mind can others discuss it?

Monty Python deductive reasoning for a Witch (or Fuses, Cables etc)

1. We know this women is a witch because she looks like one.
  2. We know this women is a witch because she dresses like one.
  3. We know this women is a witch because she has a wart.
  4. We know this women is a witch because she turned someone into a newt.
  5. One burns witches.
  6. One burns wood.
  7. Witches burn because they are made out of wood.
  8. Bridges are made of wood.
  9. However, bridges are multiply realizable. They can be built from stone. [Implied] Building a bridge out of the woman will not determine that she is made of wood.
  10. Wood floats in water.
  11. A duck floats in water [bread, apples, very small rocks, cider, gravy, cherries, mud, churches, lead].
  12. If the women weighs the same as a duck, then she is made of wood.
  13. The women weighs the same as a duck.
  14. Therefore, the woman is a witch.
https://youtu.be/X2xlQaimsGg?list=PLRYO685WratD1n1EE7txVW8_PTrYDvjBG