Linn Unidisk vs Meridian G91/98 vs Marantz DV9500

Has anyone done a comparison of the above sources? I'm looking for a really good source component to match with my Perreaux R200i and have liked what I've read about the Linn's flexibility but fear it may be outperformed sonically and in video by the Meridian or even equalled by the Marantz at around only 40% of the cost.

My musical tastes are more modern rock than classical or jazz but most western music gets a spin.

Any comments on the particular strenghts and/or weaknesses of the above mentioned digital source components. Anything else I should consider?
snello
It mainly depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend. Will your system mainly be used for music or movies? Do you need SACD and DVD-A playback as well? Are you running single-ended or balanced? I agree with the above posters, I don't think the Marantz is in the same league as the Meridian and Linn players. Onto the Linn, there are 3 Unidisks. The SC is not only a player, but a controller as well. It's video is okay and I agree, the sound is a little lean. But since you own the Perraux, that doesn't make any sense for you.

The Linn 2.1 costs $7500 new and is definitely a stepup, but I'd go with the Theta Compli for $6000. It's the 2.1's equal sonically and has superior video. It's DVI output has the most vivid colors and picture depth I've seen outside an Ayre D-1.

If you're willing to spend $11K it's between the Ayre D-1 and the Linn 1.1. I'd give the Ayre the edge for video, best in the world IMO. But the Linn for audio. It's CD playback is as good as you'll ever need. Also, the Linn can play SACD and DVD-A, where the Ayre can only play CDs.

A last option would be the Arcam DV29, $3000 new. For movies it's as good as it gets for $3K, and it's CD sound is quite good as well. But not in the same league as the other players.

The Arcam and Theta players are single-ended only. Where the Linn 1.1 and 2.1, as well as the Ayre are balanced as well. I don't have any experience with the Meridian G91, but based on previous models I'm sure it would serve you quite well. In the end, auditioning any of the above players would be the best way to determine which is best for you.

Good luck.
I'm using the G91. I like its sonics better than the Unidisc SC which to me sounded pretty well, lean; the Meridian is much fuller sounding to my ears. The video output from the G91 is very good, perhaps becoz of the Faroudja processor in it.
The Linn 1.1 is just too good to ignore. It ids the most amazing component at 11 lbs. Forget about the others. Go with the Linn
The Linn 1.1 is just too good to ignore. It ids the most amazing component at 11 lbs. Forget about the others. Go with the Linn
"have liked what I've read about the Linn's flexibility but fear it may be outperformed sonically and in video by the Meridian or even equalled by the Marantz at around only 40% of the cost."

I am not sure which Unidisk you are talking about - SC, 2.1 or 1.1. I personally am not a fan of the Meridian digital I have heard (GO8 specifically), though have no experience with their video. Why do you suppose the Meridian will beat the Unidisk prior to doing the A/B, and certainly why do you suppose the Marantz of all things will be remotely in the league with the other two sonically? (Video, perhaps, I doubt it but don't know.) Is any of this reflective of what a salesman might have said - no offense, but it has that ring to it. You really need to do the A/B’s if you at all get the chance.