linn sondek tt

Does anybody still buy this? I just noticed many of their old dealers are gone.i wonder why?
theoriginalthor1
davey, you take things personal. I have nothing against the LP12. I guess I should have never said that the 1200G smokes the LP12 just because I think its better to my ears. Its all personal preference and system dependent and their are many tables that are very good. I have spoken to Linn experts that actually travel the country and come from other countries to tune in the Linns so they are still very relevant so if that tells you how I feel about Linns that I actually looked into what is involved with their upkeep and have tried to audition a Linn recently and I am forced to travel 100’s of miles to do so. Then you need somebody to come from another state or country to tune it up because nobody locally can do it correctly. If you have figure out how to get the most out of it, thats great.
This is my last post on this thread. I’m done trying to get people to listen to a current Linn LP12 model and have an open mind. All I can say is that if the table was so very poor sounding, I doubt so many would have sold...and continue to be in high demand worldwide. If one has to seek out a Linn dealer, that is common with almost all gear in high end...that’s why it is high end and not midfi ---one doesn’t have the option of buying it at your local mart.
The set up, like all technical gear, has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing and has had some training, not by any ’tinkerer’ who happens to be good at auto repairs.
Are there better tables out there, sure there are..but not IME at the price level..one has to spend considerably more.
I’m going back to enjoying the music on my Linn LP12 Radikal D...the others can keep on arguing and guessing/postulating at what the SQ is.

Hi davey - before you go could you answer my earlier question concerning your post of.......

01-06-2019 1:49am

"Having placed the Kuzma into the same system as the LP12 Klimax, all who heard the system preferred the Linn....that day and with the same ancillary gear and same room....how many can say that about the listening experience that they had...can you dctom?"

i.e which Kuzma TT/ arm/cartridge were you comparing the Linn to?
Hello everyone -

Been following this thread with interest and wanted to chime in with my two cents. I have not had a turntable since high school and recently decided to get back into it, I looked at and have considered many different options and decided a new LP12 was going to be a good choice for me. Why?

1. I can build the table to the level I would like at this time with room to grow. Most likely will be somewhere between Malik and Akurate.

2. Unlike most pieces of equipment it is upgradeable when I feel the need with both Linn and third party options.

3. Until Linn shut down their forum - a strong user base is out there willing to share knowledge and experience. There are a few other options but nothing is currently a replacement for the old forum.

4. Heritage. While there are many fine options for a turntable purchase, the overall vibe of the LP12  is a good fit for me.

One of the other posters mentioned he had a Chris Harban plinth. For this project, I decided to have one of these made for me and is part of my initial build. I had both technical and aesthetic reasons for my choice of plinth and feel it will add to my over all enjoyment of the turntable for years to come. With few exceptions, this type of option is generally not available with other systems.

While we may not always agree on gear, not really sure why something like the LP12 is so divisive. 

I think you will love it.  They have an addicting sound when they are set up by an expert.