Linn LP12 vs. VPI Classic 1 and 3

As an owner of an LP12, I am considering an upgrade to a VPI Classic 1 or 3 or 4. I have heard a Classic 1, but not in my system. Have not heard the up scale Classic 3 or 4. So my question is- for those who have heard or own the Linn and have heard the VPI's, do they sound better than the regular Linn Lp12 with Valhalla ( my version),...can they and do they beat the Linn with Lingo, and do they compete with the uber Linn-LP12 Radikal/Keel? If so, which models of the VPI are the winners in these comparisons ( if that is the case at all).
128x128daveyf

Showing 3 responses by polk432

I had a VPI. It was ok. I'm on my 3rd Linn LP12 properly set up. POS? Hardly, unless you are a d.i.y. and don't know what you're doing. I bought a Rega RP-3 back in May, and it's ok for the price, but just doesn't compare, especially since I got this last Linn for 1250.00 with a Black Ittock LVII arm.
If it's so hard to make up one mind, there is an easy solution.. just buy both. Dollar for dollar, I'll still take the Linn.
I just put together my 3rd LP12. Other than mounting the motor correctly, it's really not that hard to set up. I too am against the high costs of upgrades. Not dollarwise as far as what you'll accomplish vs. how much you spend.