LInn Genki and Sonos - Adding a DAC

I have both components above and I am considering adding a DAC to my system if it will enhance the performance.

I am not interested in changing the Linn or Sonos components, just making an improvement in the sound at a reasonable price ($750 or less).

I would like to spend less than $750 used or new for the DAC. It needs to have 2 inputs so I can hook both components to it.

I would appreciate recommendations for audition. The Linn requires a 75 ohm coax connecton. The Sonos can use that or an optical connection.

Thanks for any purchase or audition recommendations. If you think it will not matter or have a significant improvement, I would also appreciate your thoughts.
jperry

Showing 1 response by davide256

I have the Genki... it was literally gathering dust while I used the PS Audio Dlink III DAC as the 2 were not very synergistic, emphasized each others faults and the DAC that was part of the Genki was even more dated. Now that I have the Metrum Octave, I am enjoy the Genki again as a transport and I find it more detailed than the Oppo BDP-103 for CD/HDCD. Thats $1100 well spent.
It is also true that the digital cable matters... however you don't have to spend $500. Parts connexion sells DIY material to make a respectable digital cable for about $120 if you aren't tool challenged.

Furutech FX-Alpha-Ag (1 meter silver stranded cable)
Furutech FP-106(R)(rhodium plated, filament center pin RCA plug)
Furutech FP-3-117(R)single( BNC end required for Genki digital out)