Linn Axis w/basic arm/Denon DL 160 should I bite?

Getting back into turntables after a 20 year break I,m going to take a listen to the Linn Axis this week and wondered for $795 (dealer)should i be looking elsewhere?

I listened to a new Music hall 5.1 with the magic on it and did not like the recessed sound at all,(brighter sound that I prefer could be fixed with a different cart said the dealer)

20 years ago I owned a built LP12/Lingo when I lived in the UK and loved the musicality of it and I,m hoping its little brother a similar brighter musical soundstage I,m after...... any ideas? thanks in advance.
carlukok

Showing 4 responses by tbromgard

The Axis is/was a good TT. But IMO 795 is too much for the Linn. It is an older table so you will take your chances with things like rubber dry and cracked, and bad caps etc.I have also heard of reliabiity issues with the electronic motor of the Axis. IMO I would look to Rega for a budget table.
If you can swing a Traveler, do it.

Otherwise look at Rega RP3, or for less the Debut Carbon, as MoFi suggests.

Yes, the LP12 is a great TT.
That would be a nice set-up. The 2M red is nice but if you can swing it, the Blue is worth the extra bucks. Go for it-I dont think you will regret it.

Also, if no lp stores in your area I suggest getting an amazon prime account ($7 per year) which includes free 2 day shipping. Amazon has a huge selection of new and used vinyl. Elusivedisc.com, musicdirect.com and others are good services too. Ebay is sort of a crap shoot but Ive had luck there too.
Also-
If none of your pals are into vinyl, have them over for a listening session when you get your rig set-up. Play a cd then an lp of the same pressing and ask for reactions.