LinLai WE 300B or the LinLai Global Elite Permaloy 300B tubes ?

I presently am using Sophia Electric 300B mesh-plates and find them to sound good in general.  I originally used the Sophia Royal Princess 300B's and really loved the sound, however in my experience, reliability was really poor and for the price, it wasn't any fun trying to get replacements.  I'm getting ready to order new 300B's however would like to know if any of you have had experience with their WE 300B or their flagship Elite Permaloy 300B.
Thanks... John
128x128liquidsound

Showing 15 responses by liquidsound

Thanks to all for recovery wishes !  I don't wish this crap on anyone !  I'm just now crawling out of this tough 11-days of profound fatigue, 100+ temp, achiness, cough and loss of smell/taste !  First morning with no temperature !  

OK...  I pulled the trigger on a matched-quad of the  LinLai Global Elite Permaloy 300B's...  I ended up joining their TubeVIP membership and on this purchase more than made up for the yearly membership cost on the discount for the 4 tubes...  Once I get them, I'll get them in place and do some listening.  I don't expect they'll sound terrific until they get ~100-hours on them so I'll try to document the sound as they break-in...
More to come...
I've heard an amp like mine with the original WE 300B's and it does sound really good !  Were you able to compare the "new" WE's with the original ones ?  I am contemplating buying the "new" WE's from LinLai, but want to hear the Elite Permaloy ones first.  I believe they will have their own sound "personality" so to speak.  

LinLai has a Tube VIP program...  Go to the LinLai website for more information...  
I will have to say that the Sophia Royal Princess 300-B's did sound the best in my BorderPatrol S20 SET amp.  However I really was taken aback with reliability issues about 5+ years ago with that tube, and challenges with getting them to replace them.  I still have personal issues with spending $2400/quad for those (I have no idea of what they cost now) and their not being reliable.  I presently am on my last-set of  Princess Mesh-Plate 300-B's which sound good and am looking forward to the LinLai tubes.  
I used to tube-roll years ago, however I guess in my older-age, I like just settling down to listening rather than trying to squeeze the last bit of sound improvement, especially at the price of some of these 300-B's !  
Tinear123...  Can you tell me a little more about the sonic differences you're hearing  between the LinLai E-series 300B and their WE 300B ?  
How long of a break-in of each before they stabilized ?  
If you mean the LinLai WE ones, most-likely yes.  By the way, my Global Elite 300-B quad-matched just came in so I'll be putting them into my amp this weekend and start the break-in process.  I want to get some listening-hours on them before I consider buying the LinLai WE's.  
SNS you're definitely on to something with the warranty specifics.  Is it tube-failure, or a certain level of spec degradation before they'd replace ?  Other than some type of appreciable sonic difference, unless you have a good tube-tester or know someone fairly close by that has how would you know ?  Sounds like a good question prior to purchase !  I'd bet they have run these things for 5-years+ and have plotted the degradation/failure curves !  

Yes...  There are a number of factors that affect tube-life.  Depending on the amp, some push the parameters to the limit, others are more gentle.  A testimony to EML if they can be used heavily for that long and still sound and test well !  I know with my BorderPatrol S20 EXD, the parameters aren't pushed to the limits, and I've had Sophia Princess mesh-plates last nearly that long.  I can tell though that the sound is not the same when putting new ones in and though the old ones still keep playing, there is definitely a notable sonic difference.  The tube loses dynamics, and sounds dull.  This is especially true of tube rectifiers !  
OK...  I almost left this discussion as it seemed to take on a new life on amps, preamps, upgrades and the like.  However, I guess sometimes things go that way naturally...  In my opinion, it's better to start a new thread so others can tie-in to that and comment/learn.  That said...
I have about 250-hours on the LinLai Permaloy 300-B's and they have opened up nicely.  While they sounded good right out of the box, They seemed a bit edgy in the treble area to start out.  Now, they have in a word, blossomed...  The treble has smoothed and is not edgy yet retains great accuracy.  No sibilance.  I have always liked my First-Watt SIT-2 solid-state amp for it's terrific detail, triode-like sound and BIG expansive soundstage.  It's my most-favorite solid-state amp.  I had most of that in the past with the Sophia Princess mesh-plates except for the expansive soundstage, and while the Sophia Royal Princess was a definite cut above the Princess's in all respects, the LinLai now surpasses them.  The LinLai's now match my First-Watt SIT-2 for that big soundstage.  I like it !  Also the LinLai's have a great realistic sounding mid-range which in my opinion is where the rubber-meets-the-road so to speak.  One other area I've discovered with the LinLai's that I'm having trouble describing is the music definitely has more "body".  There seems to be more weight or "heft" to the music over-all and not just in the bass-area.  Another nice quality. 
One other thing I've done is checked the bias after about an hour of warm-up every time I've done my listening and at first, I was adjusting, re-checking and fine-tuning.  Now in the last several times I've checked, it appears to be spot-on.  I always reference the line-voltage when doing bias adjustment as I adjust based on nominal voltage.  Luckily, where I am in Florida, I've seen the line-voltage vary between 118V and 121V with it setting at 120V most of the time no matter what time of day.  That in my opinion is good...  I know listening is a subjective experience and with each piece of equipment/component, your "individual mileage may vary", so to speak, however with my SET-up, this is what I'm hearing.  
I don't know how much more these tubes will change with more hours, however I like what I'm hearing, so far...  More-to-come...  
Thanks Guys for enjoying the impressions I've found with the LinLai Permaloy 300-B's.  I'll do another impressions review after I get more than 250-hours on them (like at the 500-hour mark) to let you all know how they sound in my system.  Now I'm in a quandary !  Do I go for the LinLai WE replacement 300-B's or go for the U.S. WE 300-B's ?  The U.S. ones are notably more expensive, however they do have a 5-year warranty on mfg. defect only.  So if one fails, or I guess doesn't meet "spec" they may replace it.  By the way, Sophia only does a 1-year warranty (at least the last time I bought) if you pay the higher price.  Perhaps I'll wait a little while longer to see how these Permaloy's sound and last.  I want to get some of these expensive 300-B tubes before I retire and I'm on a fixed income ! ! !  
By the way, I had thought of purchasing a good tube-tester, so I can keep an eye on my power-tubes.  I may first ask my local audio group if anyone there has one...
I haven't done any listening for the last two weeks as I've been laid up with COVID...  Sucks !  So I've no update on the LinLai 300-B's ...