Line voltage is 116 not 120 why?

I measured my line voltage with a volt meter it stayed steady at 116 shouldn't it be 120.Will this effect the sound of my amp since the voltage is lower?Can anything be done to bring it up to 120?
Mike
hiendmmoe

Showing 6 responses by magfan

Mostly I have 118. During peak demand of summer, it'll droop as low as 115.

Lower voltage implies higher amps for same power.
Kij, Yes there are many SMPS which run at a wide range of voltage. My charger for my Canon camera will run on anything it'll plug into. anywhere. NO DC.

But, in general, is it true that lower voltage makes for higher current draw? If your PS draws 1 amp at anything from 85 to 265 volts, that would make it 85 to 265 watts, if it was a pure resistive load (I'm sure it isn't)
But, for 100 watts, the current would vary from 1.2a to 0.4a for the same 'power' in watts.
I don't know the answer.
Yes, power factor.
Same thing happens with speakers where people insist on saying bad load=low impedance when really it is hi phase angle AND low impedance at around the same frequency that makes for a bad load. For speakers a Smith Chart tells the whole story. Phase and impedance as 2 lines always confuses me. Smith Chart is easier to read, after a small learning curve.

I will measure the PF of my gear. I suspect no worse than 30"=0.86 pf.
This is within reason and not unexpected. Remember, we may get billed for WATTS, but consume va. That's why transformers are always rated in VA and not in watts. And, as an aside, some factories get billed a 'premium' for low PF load. Your stereo can be the same way.

'A' amps are always on, so at 100% all the time.

Agreed about average draw. If the power factor is reasonable, no need to overdo it too much. 14ga should still be good up to what......1000va?
PF, at least on an industrial scale can be corrected. Capacitor banks for sure will work, and maybe an inductor bank. Depends on if current is ahead or behind voltage. Using iron core inductors with the core being 'movable' will vary inductance. I don't know what technology is used on that scale.

Why do you bother with PF correction? Your amp PS will still have the same electrical characteristics. Only what the power line 'sees' will change, and if you aren't being billed a low PF surcharge, why bother? PF correction is used on big scale factories so they don't get dunned an additional electric bill....a 'weird load' penalty. My company, for example, was getting tagged for 600$ monthly and PF correction would have a payback measured in decades. I haven't looked up your system, but if as I suspect, you have at least a dedicated line to anything short of a couple KW of A/B amp, than you should be ok with a 20 amp service!

Better results, (just an OPIN) could be obtained if speaker designers quit messing around. Some speaker loads are AWFUL and since they are tough to drive, IMPEDANCE gets (mostly) wrongly blamed.

As a Power Supply aside, my now ancient Carver Cube used an early version of what became his 'tracking' powersupply. I think this PS was voltage driven, since I could cause the lights in my house to flicker in time with the music.
my 'current' (please ignore pun) pc is a Panamax in the 5100 series.....don't 'member which. But it has a 400va iso into which all my low current stuff plugs. This thing really delivers using those outlets.
I've had 2 amps plugged into it for testing. A vintage Carver cube and a Rotel rb1070. I felt both were limited by the conditioner, even into the alledged hi-current outlets. The cube, in particular really opened up when straight into an outlet, even the 'shared' circuit before a dedicated line. The Rotel simply didn't have enough oooomph for my panels at higher levels but also improved straight into the wall.
Now, I have a dedicated drop and use a PSAudio Soloist outlet for my GCC250 and HSU sub.
One day I'll get around to measuring the PF of all this stuff and get back to you. But for now, I just listen. Even the XM coming down the pipe thru the small dish is terrific background music and turned up, not all bad. Certainly as included with the rest it is great and gives me a chance to hear stuff which I'd not otherwise listen to.

IMO, and I've got LOTS of 'em, cabling is one of the last things to 'fix'. Fundamentals count here more than glitz and weird science. Room 1st.
As for PF, again, speakers are the worst offender and many otherwise good amps have been replaced due to the owners insistence on speakers with bizarre load characteristics. There is NO excuse for a 60' phase angle right next to a 3.5ohm dip in a 86db sensitive speaker, all happening at say......200hz.
OUCH!
I've always been pretty skeptical. Claims which are noted but not repeatable are always.....suspect.
I've heard enough people complain about amps thru pcs that when my sound changed for the worse thru such a conditioner, I was convinced of at least that.

I can get a cable to make a difference....easily. Just hook my current hog, fairly low impedance panels up to my 500x2 4ohm amp....using 18ga wire. or stick a small value cap across the outputs.