Line Stage Preamps that blew you away $2500 Edition

Passive, tubes, solid state, jewel encrusted moon rocks, whatever. 

tell us what line stages blew you Away in the $2500 ish price catagory.

gochurchgo

@gochurchgo 

I have a couple of Transformer based passives, they are not all created equal. I just had one custom made for me that is minimal in design and function. I also have stepped attenuation based on ladder resistors. 
My amp has low gain, only 11.5 db of gain, so I needed to preserve the input signal as well as I could. I am using balanced inputs to the passive, the transformers match the impedance loads on both ends , so they are less sensitive to cables and impedance specs. The balanced voltage is higher and maintained in this passive even though I am outputting to single ended. so I don’t lose any drive with the transformers like I would with resistors or an autoformer.  The clarity , noiseless background and dynamics are all excellent. I’m not missing anything. It simply lets the music through without any altering of sound. Transformers turn voltage into current at attenuation instead of heat, so low levels sound more full..  I’m a minimalist and a firm believer in less is more , keeping it simple when it comes to the signal path..  

My previous setup was more conventional and more expensive with an active pre Alone was $10k..  I seem to enjoy music more with less spent and less mucking with the signal.  

@ Jackd

I’m very intrigued by the fact you own a Sachs and a Supratek. Understanding you have the latest Sachs, can you share which Supratek you have and a deeper insight to the differences if you could please?

@ gochurchgo

you received some very knowledgeable comments for preamps in your budget range. Over the years there is a consistent chorus of praises for certain brands which not only included SQ aspects, it a good indication about reliability and serviceability.

So far this thread has highlighted bankable names like; Supratek, Sachs, Herron, Zesto, Backhert, and deHaviland. While there will be house sound qualities to each, everyone in there own right are outstanding performers. Buy any one used, and it’s never a problem if your not happy to sell it. The challenge is being patient enough for the right one to come up at a fair price.

Good brands just re-sell easily, and fast. Although this comment is about a phono stage, it’s still illustrative of a prudent choice. The highly regarded Herron phono stage is a great example, selling one would only take a day or two. (Even before it was discontinued!) Same for the majority of the brands we’re discussing here.

The only other preamps I’ve not seen mentioned that are to my ears solid values and SQ performers are Wyetech and Atma Sphere. I love a good preamp, what has satisfied my ears most consistently are 6SN7 based versions. There just seams to just have more grunt, body and flesh with this tube type, a deeper emotional connection with the music with a well designed version. My MFA Lumi is another great sample, tho above the stated price range.

(Bold indicates 6SN7)

The other important aspect is the micro and macro dynamics. A pre that preserves more of the dynamics is a great sonic asset - it just sounds more alive. Some do it better than others.

I see you’ve also asked about a phono stage in another post, again Herron if you can find one at a reasonable price, also a Zesto is a great choice. Something you might not have thought about is a Supratek with a built in Phono stage. Great SQ, and the value is very high, notwithstanding it saves buying another set of cables and power cord.

Wishing the best on your journey!

House sound qualities. If you want this, do not go with a passive design. I want to hear the source (which has it's house sound), and the amplifier(which has it's house sound ). That is enough house sound for me. I need some neutrality in the chain, and preamps always have a sound. This, based on my system specificaly. Enjoy

@ianderson 

I own the Supratek Chardonnay and have for two years.  At the moment they are set up in two different systems in two different house but I had them both together in the same system last year for a month.  To my ears the Supratek has more "meat on the bones" and a better ability to draw you into the music.  At the time the comparison was made they were both outfitted with the same input tubes, early 50's RCA GT's.  Just a more relaxing sound to me which may be attributed to the separate power supply or just a difference in circuit design.  Eventually, by the end of the coming year things will downsize to one system at one house at which time I plan to sell them both and buy a 6SN7 Cabernet.