Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
KR 300B’s have arrived. They look nice and have surely a durable and rugged feel to them as I’ve read the czech valves should.

Sound impressions (compared to my prior Full Music 300B/n)-
Certainly more extended into the lower frequencies beyond what the FM300B delivered. The bass is a bit warmer and fuller, thus the entire sound has more body and weight to it. Not as ’airy’ as the FM tube. But the air with the FM tube came with sometimes, a harsh top end. On some recordings it could have a little too much bite. The bite was during some high notes especially with some particular female vocal recordings or maybe even some guitar tones. This has almost been totally addressed with changing to the KR. It is more rounded, and more neutral, and overall, more balanced I suppose. Now I want to mention, when I play a very high resolution and high DR recording of Diana krall for example, the air is still there well on either tube, the KR and the FM. Dynamics are still good with the KR, but it is warmer overall, with a little less bite. Easier listening. As a whole, I prefer the KR. All of the characteristics vs the FM300 make it a sweeter, and maybe more fluid of a sound. However, I am curious as to what an EML mesh might do in comparison still. Might it retain that warmth and low end and meanwhile add some airiness back without the highs being harsh? I could live with either in, but the KR is staying for sure.

As of now my 219ia is loaded with:
KR 300B
WE 310A
Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7
Stock shuguang/psvane 845 still
Hi jkull,
It appears that the 300b tubes individual character are apparent as driver tubes just they are when used as output tubes. Your description of the sound of the KR is quite similar to how it was in my amplifier. Like I have written previously I gave a slight edge to the EML XLS but could unquestionably live happily with either of these exceptional tubes. No surprise to me that you preferred the KR to the Full Music 300b. I’d check to be sure that the EML mesh is suitable as a driver tube in your amplifier's circuit. It’s a very beautiful organic sounding tube under the right circumstances.
Charles 
I have furthermore sold my designated digital playback/DAC component, my oppo 105, and have replaced it with the LM502ca DAC.. Rolled the 12AU7’s to NOS mullard C4003’s right out of the gate. Have had the DAC for a few days now and the sound is improving and improving. It is an improvement over the oppo, with the quality and amount of bass being the extremely obvious mention here. Between the KR300’s and this new DAC (using the tube stage basically always), the bass has become much improved in my setup. Digital glare has been much reduced compared to the oppo, and the sound is more textured. I expect even further improvement once the NOS tung-sol 6x4 rectifier tube arrives, to replace the stock Chinese 6z4. This is said to bring a very nice improvement, even greater that the rolling of the 12AU7’s in this DAC. I will upgrade the coupling caps to silver/gold in oil mundorfs shortly as well. Very happy with this DAC so far and feel that is is a definite improvement and a better piece as it is strictly ’audio dedicated’.
Hi jkull,
It appears to me that since your acquisition of the Line Magnetic 219ia your system has taken a sharp turn toward naturalness and realism. No doubt that this change in your digital source takes you further down that road.  I don't believe there will be any looking back. I'm sure music played though your current system is organic and captivating. 
Charles