Linbrook Sig Owners - In Room Bass Extension?

Can anyone comment on the Tyler Linbrook Sigs bass extension in their real world environment? I am considering a pair and would like to know if the published spec of 25Hz is actually being realized in people's homes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ag insider logo xs@2xitball

Showing 1 response by jimmy2615

Using the radio shack SPL meter and stereophile test CD 2, in a 22 by 14 room mine are about -6dB at 25 Hz. Interestingly, they're also -6 at 20. The thing is though that I have found with these speakers (and I've had other large floorstanders, such as B&W 802M and PSB stratus Gold) is that you really have to get them away from the back wall because they do produce so much bass, and because they are so deep in length (at least the two piece bass modules). My measurements were taken with the speakers rear 34 inches from the rear wall, with the fronts then being two feet more. That's 5 feet into the room to get a good balance. The monitors on the other hand easily go flat to 35 Hz and you can put them near the wall still with great sound staging and depth. I have not heard the one piece system, but I can say that the two piece is big and needs a lot of room. With a medium sized room like mine it will take up a good quarter of the room. If you can't afford to place them like that, they're going to be boomy. That's either a good thing or bad thing in the context of this post - they do put out the bass, just make sure you have room enough to manage the bass output and still get the best from the midrange. I have not tried it, but I'm sure if I put them close to the back wall they'd be flat to 25 Hz or so. But they wouldn't sound great otherwise.