Liked the Nautilus 805 but found better?

I really, really like my 805s, but, alas, the bass. I'm looking for those that fell in love, and then found something better. Opinions on the 804's have been mixed. I cant see them being $1500 better than the 805. any and all suggestions appreciated.
gthirteen

Showing 8 responses by gthirteen

Subs are hard to integrate, and the good ones are too much. I heard the Sonus Faber Grand Piano,with some high priced Denon receiver, and despite the setup, I liked what I heard. I bet the Sonus Faber EA is nice, and they go low for the smaller speakers. The sound of the 805 is impossible to fault (in my system, anyway) above 60 hz. It's just the bass. IF I could get 10 hz lower, that's all I want. I'm not some bass junkie, it's just that some CDs are a little thin, and the B&W's REALLY show it. Like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Ouch. Where's the Bass?? Dire Straits' Dire Straits... same thing. I'm not married to the B&W name, I want flat bass to 40ish hz, and the same quality of driver integration that the 805 has, with the delicate treble and the air and the imaging. Crap. It's not going to happen, is it?
Rega Planet CD, CJ PV11L preamp, McCormack DNA.5 amp, AQ Diamondx3, Lapisx3 ICs, and AQ SA-40/CV-4 Biwire (2 15 gauge cables, 1 silver 1 6 9s copper).
I must be screwed. Kevin suggested that the PV-11 is one of the most "ornery" preamps re: "tube finnickyness". I'm using rubber pads with foam rubber pads on top of them (about .5 inches in diameter) to couple speakers to the stands. The Rega sits on a granite slab/innertube/granite slab/tiptoes/concrete slab floor(carpeted, of course) setup. The preamp has tiptoes pointing down into foam ruber pads/granite/tiptoes/floor, and the amp makes use of it's soft-shoe/coupling spike combo that is stock to the McCormack, sitting on granite slab and you guessed it, tiptoes. McCormack has Synergystic Research Masta Coupla, and the other PC are captive, stock. All cables are elevated from the floor.
But the EAs go lower than 40 hz, right?? I don't need the lowest octave at all. If I could get flat at 40, (like the SF Grand Pianos) I would be happy. I know Paolo_Italy can supply the old GPs at around the $ that I could get for my N805's, and I might float them so that I could try them, as there's no SF dealer anywhere around. BUT I wish I knew more about them. I really, really think that what the 805 plays can't be beat for twice the price. Ho Hum..... Maybe I need some monster cables.lol
I added a NHT SW2pi last night, just to try. It mates very well, actually. Using a low pass x-over point of about 75hz on the sub, I got good sound with very little fiddling about. This is a tough one, guys. I get to keep the 805s, but have to shell out more $$$ for a sub. I'm going to try a couple of other local subs, but was thinking about the Meadowlark Audio Shearwater. Any thoughts?
Yeah yeah, Sagger, you want to buy it for me? Listen before thrashing a company's products. I'm sure REL is great, but with the products being nonexistant on the used market, and the least expensive current model being $1500, it will be several years before I'm in a position to shell out this knid of green again. Unless you want to buy it for me, Sag?
Hey Sagger, no offence intended, buddy. I don't know how much money, I've not had much luck getting subs to work seamlessly, in any system I've ever heard. Krellnot taps into an opinion that I've heard before. Perhaps the B&W subs might match well. I've never heard anything bas about REL products, I'm just trying to do this on the cheap. I'd rather live with what I have than accept less then par performance. I'm returning my NHT Audition today, as Sagger prophesized, it just didn't cut it. Thanks again for all the help guys. Anyone heard of Newform Research?? Check out the 645 speaker on AUdioreview. It's hard to imagine 30 -odd reviews with nothing less then a "5" rating...