Lifters ForGetting Cables Off The Floor, Worth It Or Snake Oil

•  I'm looking at some porcelain cable lifters to get some power and speaker cable up off the floor.  Does raising the cables off the floor really make a difference? It's going to be about 200 bucks for 10 of them. Thanks.  
zar
I tried snake oil once and it made a difference, a worthwhile upgrade .... 
They do make a difference in my system. But before I bought some I tried it out with styrofoam cups first to see if it was worth the cost. I then wondered why I didn't do it sooner. 
Still the first to crap on every cable thread that pops up Randy?

I'm pretty sure that your system is not resolving enough to show the performance improvements provided by using cable risers.

thanks Teo for your very relevant and informative post.  Read and learn please haters
There was a kind young man on Audiogon a few years ago who was collecting and offering handsome sets of dark brown, fairly large but not obtrusive antique porcelain insulators for a reasonable price. I gladly bought two sets from him to keep my long new (to me) bi-wired flat-but-fat speaker cables off of the carpet-over-concrete slab in our living room. I have the same issue another member already mentioned: the left speaker is perhaps only three feet of cable length from our big Levinson amp, while the right speaker is probably twelve or so cable-feet away. While I will not claim the insulators vastly improved the sound, the upgraded cables made a positive difference in our enjoyment of music, and the insulators look good and functionally manage the coiled dual runs of excess cabling on the left side of the room, between our rack and the speaker. They make keeping the cables clean easier and help to keep them secured to our large full-range speakers by reducing the tug of the weighty bi-wired run. The insulators were a reasonable investment in our primary system, and I appreciated the care the seller took in selecting, matching and meticulously packing them for me. They were not expensive - perhaps $230 or so all in - and I'm glad to have them. I like to think they make a difference; however, as with all scientifically unproven tweaks, your mileage may differ, and if you consider their use to be an instance of "snake oil," I still respect your opinion.