LFD zero vs plinius 9200 vs MF A5 for spendor 8se

Hi,

I'm trying to find a matching integrated amp for my spendor 8se. Price range is sub $2k for used. Plinius 9200, LFD zero and musical fidelity A5 are on my list. Any advice? Best match? Other recommendation?

Thx!

jf
mizuno

Showing 3 responses by bongofury

Luxman was a great legacy brand from Japan in the day. Good to see it get resurrected after two decades of neglect.
Agree on the LFD. Build quality is second to none. They individually match the electronics and the gear is completely handbuilt in the UK.

I might also want to look at the new MacIntosh 6300. At 150 watts, it will easily drive these.

LFD is a cult brand whereas Mac will have good resell in the future.
Both as very high in musicality.

LFDs seem to work well with English speakers that love the mid ranges, like your Spendors. Very clean sound with nice soundstaging. Vocals integrate well.

McIntosh will power through any music with real slam, and unlike most recent McIntosh amp designs, the 6300 does not seem to be overly "tubey" or "warm" on the high end. They seem to work with a wide variety of speakers, especially smooth sounding ones, top to bottom.

From an investment standpoint, LFD is a cult brand with a limited audience. The company is little known in their native UK and does not even have a website. It operates like a small cottage industry.

McIntosh is a luxury brand with huge built-in loyalty and will retain its value. My father had a 275 MAC amp in a custom JBL console. He died in 2004 and we had 45 bids on eBay for it. It surprised me and my brothers on just how strong their base is.