Levinson 5805

Well, my 4 month old Mark Levinson 5805 has pooped the bed. No lights, nada.
incoming fuse is good.
back to the shop, we will see what they say. I am hoping for a replacement if it is not something simple.
thank goodness for a good dealer. They offered a loaner, but I'll wait a few days before lugging another one of these things around LOL.
I really love the sound of it.. hoping it is something stupid.

no_money
Keep us all posted as you get info. It sucks, but things do happen like this from time to time, hopefully, ML will take good care of you, and sounds like your dealer is too, which is a huge benefit. Nice integrated for sure!
Should have chosen McIntosh instead.
Oh wait , audiosnobs say it is not real high end.

Well I guess it’s reliable.
@techno_dude......................

I have had a few audio snobs from here over to listen to my McIntosh system.  They changed their tune once they heard my systems.  All three of them said they had never heard McIntosh before hearing mine yet they dissed it in the forums here and on the Audio Asylum. 
You misunderstood me, I was sarcastic. I own a recent Mac preamp myself, and do not understand those who snobs the brand...
I have not auditioned them but wouldn't diss them even if I didn't prefer the sound. They have great resell and have been around for a long time. They must be doing something right, and at this price level everything really comes down to personal preference and the speakers you are driving. 
@techno_dude...…………………….

I understood you were being sarcastic.  I  was agreeing with you!
nomoney,

As you're well aware, the 5805 is excellent.  After comparing some speakers through one at a local dealer, I liked it so much I bought a pre-owned Levinson 326S preamp for $5K just to try and capture some of the magic in combination with my high powered class D power amps. 
     This was a complete success and I attained the benefits of the Levinson detail, sweetness and excellent sound staging I heard from the 5805.  I think the extreme neutrality of my class D mono amps enabled this by just passing through these Levinson qualities unencumbered.
     I'd suggest you really have no choice but to get the 5805 repaired since it's a great integrated and it's basically worthless unrepaired.  Good luck on the repair estimate.

Tim

Ah, I missed that being mentioned. Good, then that should be a very low repair bill, indeed.

Tim
Hi Noble, 
I had a 326s  with 332 combo prior to this. Very nice pre. 
Unfortunately a lightning strike took out the 326 as well as a 360s DAC. 

Hello no_money,

Ouch, you’ve had some bad luck recently.

Yes, I had a fairly hefty budget and, with a willingness to buy used, it effectively gave me the pick of the litter in terms of a high quality preamp, my only prerequisite being a means of HT bypass. I just happened to hear the 5805 integrated at a local shop listening in on another customer’s audition/comparison of Magico 3 and Sonus Faber Strativarius speakers. The 5805 was used to power both and the results were beautiful on both pairs of speakers.
I was really impressed that the 5805 was capable of sounding so sweet, beautiful and created such a solid, stable, wide, deep, natural and 3D soundstage on both pairs of speakers while still being neutral enough for me and the customer to clearly notice small differences between both high quality speakers.
We both agreed the speakers were very similar on everything except the bass, with the Sonus Faber having the edge on bass quantity and impact but the Magico having the edge on bass quality. The customer decided to buy the Magicos because his system already consisted of the 5805 and a pair of high quality subs.
I didn’t want or intend to horn in on the customer’s speaker demo but the exceptionally high quality of the music just drew me in. After experiencing the excellent performance level of the 5805, I was keenly interested in trying to attain those apparent Mark Levinson qualities in my system. Luckily, this dealer just happened to have a 326S preamp recently taken in as a trade-in and I bought it for my budgeted $5K.
Sorry, I seem to have turned your thread into an ad for Mark Levinson products and a description of my good luck as opposed to your recent bad luck. But you’re likely to have your 5805 integrated, or a new replacement, back in your system soon and I’m thrilled with my 326S preamp so I think that makes us both rather friggin lucky, right?

Best wishes and enjoy,
           Tim
My Dealer just notified me that ML will be sending me a replacement amp. 
Noble 100, if you are anywhere near NC let me know... I still have my 326S. It powers up, and the remote works. You can have it for spare parts. It was declared dead by my dealer. 
Hello no_money,

Very kind of you, thanks! I live in Indiana but if I'm ever going to be in your neck of the woods, I just might take you up on that offer and pm you.
    Awesome news on the replacement amp. I was wondering if it could have been a large power surge, but that would've probably blown the fuse.
Thanks again and enjoy,
          Tim
My brand spanking new replacement amp arrived Friday.
It was a wonderful weekend of burning in the new amp!
Ok, so I too have issues with the 5805. Fine on delivery, but I did a FW update, and on power up the unit died. Fuse blown, replaced with a 5amp as I do get more than 240v to my home. Was ok again for a while, the one night a month later it just went dead. Fuse fine. On 2nd loner unit that another person had, he reported a buzz from one channel out of standby. I have not experienced this issue, but given issues, I am moving to a different brand. I have a very good dealer who takes service seriously thankfully.
I have heard it has happened to several units. Hopefully they have found the issue and resolved. If this one goes out I will have to consider another option from my dealer. 
Welp, 6 months seems to be the going rate of survival. This one is now dead as well.
My Dealer has negotiated a deal on a 585.5 for me.

So upwards I shall go.

I will say the 5805 does sound awesome, they just need to work the bugs out.
Not sure whether this thread makes me feel better or worse but just received a demo 5805 from a dealer in the mail and it is totally dead as well. Fuses in tact, no other issues. Only a couple months old. Unbelievable. 
Post removed 
I also have a 5805 for about a year now. Like it's sound. Every firmware update has different problems now intermediately locks up on power off. Have to disconnect power and reboot. 
Wow, kind of eye-opening to read about all these problems.  Are Levinsons in general known for having reliability issues?  Just the 5805?  Or other current generation amps/pres?
From what I am told, just the 5805 version. 5802 is not having the same issues, nor are the 585 / 585.5 series.
Looks like more beta testing should have been done. I am sure they will make it right for everyone in the end its just a PITA that we should not have to deal with.
Its very hard to beat for the money.. once they get it right though. Just a fun amp to listen to.

They offered me a deal on a 585.5 I could not resist.
So I have had the 585.5 for about a week now. I can say it is very neutral, and has plenty of power. I feel it offers a more solid sound stage. The Phono section is downright killer.
Hello no_money,

It's been my experience that ML gear in general is very good at portraying a very good three dimensional sound stage that is solid and stable while also being very realistic/palpable and natural.  I believe having plenty of high quality amp power is also critical for a system to accurately reproduce the impact and dynamics of live music, especially in the bass regions, and therefore to faithfully portray a realistic/palpable, 3D and natural sound stage in our rooms.
    It seems like the ML 585.5 is more than capable of doing this in your system and room.  Congrats and enjoy!

Tim
Hi everyone. I would recommend against buying the 5808. I have had TWO of them turn into bricks during the pandemic. For five of the past 12 months I have been without my main system. I got my third replacement the other day and traded it for other gear. It does sound really amazing but, the unit reminded me of Italian and British sports cars of the 70's. Awesome unless in the shop. Buyer beware on this one. There are real issues and it might have just come to market too soon. 
My Levinson system (no’s 25, 360S, 380S, 333 and Proceed PDT3), 25 years old still going strong driving demanding AudioStatic DCM-5’s My 360S and 380S died because of an electrical problem. Even though it probably was my fault, Harman fixed it under warranty. No 333 just had its 2nd service including recap...not cheap ($1,300) but good...effortless and musical even at whisper volume.