Levinson 380S or Hovland 100?

I've recently migrated from primarily HT to 2-channel. I just added a Sony 777ES SACD player to my system, which consists of Aerial 7B's driven by an EAD Powermaster 2000 amp (400 watts/ch). Interconnects are Harmonic Tech Pro Silway MkII.

While I still enjoy HT, 2-channel is now taking up 90% of my time and interest. Now I must find a preamp to go with the SACD player. I've never owned tube gear, but have read tons of reviews and opinions regarding it's unique sound. Here's my question. . .

In the $6,000-$7,000 price range, what are your opinions and suggestions? I'm leaning toward the Levinson 380S. I feel comfortable with the fact that it's SS and I am familiar with the Levinson reputation for quality. Is this unit in the same league with the preamps mentioned in the previous "Hovland-pre thread?

I just read the Stereophile review on the CJ 17LS, and this could be in the running as well. Again, I'm inexperienced in the tube world, and don't want to be a slave to maintenance, tube replacement and such. Or are today's units virtually maintenance free?

Any first-hand info and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I love my SACD player, and want to be sure I'm getting the very best out of it I can.

Thanks,

Ken
kenl

Showing 1 response by pops

Paul, I,m coming to Mass. this week on business, I'll come by and kick you - just kidding, I have heard both the BAT and CJ mentioned above and they are both excellent. I really like the CJ sound, it's pretty consistent throughout the line. The BAT was however unbelievable. It is now on my short list with the CJ17 and I also want to check out the Hovland. Thanks for the tip.