Levinson 33H vs Boulder 1060/2060??

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new amp and was thinking about the Levinson 33H. I don't have any experience with Boulder, but heard some good things about it.

Anyone listened to both of them and what are your findings? What are the differences between both amps and which of the two do you recommend and why?

Thanks for your input

Max
maxx1973

Showing 1 response by mikelavigne

i agree with Raquel and Kurt. i've owned three Mark Levinson amps; the #335, #33H and the #33. i enjoyed them all, likely the most musical was the #33H.....which while short of the effortlessness of the monster #33, was a bit less 'processed' sounding.....always listenable.

i've only listened to the Boulder (both 1060 and 2060) in unfamiliar systems....but i've heard them quite a few times on familiar speakers. they really do nothing wrong and have low distortion and are not sterile sounding. OTOH i have never been drawn into the music with Boulder and always get that processed sense more like the big #33 Levinson....maybe all those circuts and output devices.

for me the darTZeel is the one; but i agree it does need a reasonable load to be fully dynamic. on my 93db Evolution Accoustics MM3's they do everything one could ask in my very large well damped room. the MM3's do have powered subwoofer/woofers so the dart only powers the mids and tweeters. i've heard the dart on full range speakers in normal sized rooms and they do just fine.

the dart does not sound like ss or tubes; it sounds like music...sweet, detailed, natural, low noise floor, great micro-dynamics, very articulate bass, and a texturally rich and pure mid-range.

the Lamms are different from the dart but also are quite good (i prefer the dart personally).

i have yet to hear a mega-watt ss amp that i could live with long term.

YMMV